Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Copy & Paste

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ekubaskie
642 Views, 9 Replies

Surface Copy & Paste

OK, I understand that copying a surface and then doing a Paste to Original Coordinates will bring in the breaklines, contours, etc. used to creste the surface. A pain, since I had 4 sets of them in the drawing before I figured it out, but I can live with it.

The wierd part is that all the Z-values are coming in as 1/12th of what they were in the original. Say I have a surface created from contours, ranging from -60' to 240'. The pasted surface in the other dwg indicates contours from -5' to 20'!

Both files are in the came coordinate system, and have units defined as feet. All the X & Y values are fine. In fact, both files are copies of a third original. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I thought it might be wblocking as inches, but only the Z's seem to be affected.

Oh, and where the heck is the setting to turn off grade break labels in a profile? I found all the other label controls.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: ekubaskie

Hey eku (pardon my nicknaming your handle); Query 1: We had the same issue yesterday, and the user hasn't finished testing the current hypothesis (because its the weekend). Query 2: One of the things that have been stressed by the Development Team is that it's far easier to start with a fresh DWG to get all the Styles from the C3D Template, rather than having to drag and drop them one by one into an existing LDT DWG. So if you don't see this in the Settings Tab... then you probably won't find this to adjust the Visibility setting... HTH -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "ekubaskie" wrote in message news:8982967.1100390223919.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > OK, I understand that copying a surface and then doing a Paste to Original Coordinates will bring in the breaklines, contours, etc. used to creste the surface. A pain, since I had 4 sets of them in the drawing before I figured it out, but I can live with it. > > The wierd part is that all the Z-values are coming in as 1/12th of what they were in the original. Say I have a surface created from contours, ranging from -60' to 240'. The pasted surface in the other dwg indicates contours from -5' to 20'! > > Both files are in the came coordinate system, and have units defined as feet. All the X & Y values are fine. In fact, both files are copies of a third original. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I thought it might be wblocking as inches, but only the Z's seem to be affected. > > Oh, and where the heck is the setting to turn off grade break labels in a profile? I found all the other label controls. Attachment not added (too many attachments): "20041113 GBLabels.PNG"
Message 3 of 10
ekubaskie

Not at all. In fact I kinda like it.

Query 1 - We'll see..

Query 2 - the dwg was never in LDT, but I was going after the label styles from the profile, view, and band properties - so I'll try the browser Monday - thanks.

What I've got is a site where they want to do some "conceptual cross-sections" showing various options for groundwater treatment at a former refinery site. They want the sections to be "real" but at different parts of the site. I've made a drawing that I can do multiple copies, moving the "section" by adjusting the alignment - the profile updates and I can give them a new option in MINUTES!

But, since the purpose is to show the options, I don't really want ANY labels on the profile but elevation and station. Thanks for the hint there.

The goofy cut@paste problem gave me a surface equal in x & y dimensions and 1/12th in the z. I created the surface from scratch in the new dwg and I'm rolling - but this is something that MUST be figured out.

You know, at first I thought C3D would put me on the street, but I know I have a few good years yet setting up all the alignment/profile/corridor/label styles to what the company calls "standard"!
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

My guess is that there will be those "on in years" that are still uncomfortable with using PCs, so I wouldn't worry too much about joining the homeless, just yet. If you're not able to attend Autodesk University this year, I hear that James Wedding's presentation of setting up and using Styles is going to be recorded. So look for the archive of AU coming soon. There's Company Standards, and then there are City, County and State Standards also, so once you get the Company's set don't forget how to do it. :-) 7:16 on a Saturday night? Man, that's dedication! -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "ekubaskie" wrote in message news:24008791.1100402242296.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > Not at all. In fact I kinda like it. > > Query 1 - We'll see.. > > Query 2 - the dwg was never in LDT, but I was going after the label styles from the profile, view, and band properties - so I'll try the browser Monday - thanks. > > What I've got is a site where they want to do some "conceptual cross-sections" showing various options for groundwater treatment at a former refinery site. They want the sections to be "real" but at different parts of the site. I've made a drawing that I can do multiple copies, moving the "section" by adjusting the alignment - the profile updates and I can give them a new option in MINUTES! > > But, since the purpose is to show the options, I don't really want ANY labels on the profile but elevation and station. Thanks for the hint there. > > The goofy cut@paste problem gave me a surface equal in x & y dimensions and 1/12th in the z. I created the surface from scratch in the new dwg and I'm rolling - but this is something that MUST be figured out. > > You know, at first I thought C3D would put me on the street, but I know I have a few good years yet setting up all the alignment/profile/corridor/label styles to what the company calls "standard"!
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

I hadn't heard that rumor Don. It's an interesting thought, hell, I might even do it myself so I can splice it later. -- James Wedding, P.E. Technology Manager Associate Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G LDT2005+C3D http://au.autodesk.com Sign up now for AU2004!
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

When an already existing drawing is worked on in Civil 3D, the settings (lots of them) will not be correct and a factor of 12 may come into play. This applies to surfaces as well as alignments. The simplest procedure to follow for an existing non-Civil 3D drawing is to start a new drawing using one of the Civil 3D templates and then insert the original drawing that you wish to use. Regarding the labels. 1. Select the profile object you wish adjust the labels for. 2. Right Click and select "Edit Labels..." 3. In the large white pane select the label type you wish to get rid of (i.e.. Lines, Grade Breaks, Sag Curves etc.). 4. Press the "White Button with a Red X" on it adjacent to the add button in the upper right corner to delete the selected label type. Note: to Add labels, select the label type from the drop down box in the upper left corner press the "Add" button and apply a style. Angel Espinoza KETIV Technologies "ekubaskie" wrote in message news:8982967.1100390223919.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > OK, I understand that copying a surface and then doing a Paste to Original Coordinates will bring in the breaklines, contours, etc. used to creste the surface. A pain, since I had 4 sets of them in the drawing before I figured it out, but I can live with it. > > The wierd part is that all the Z-values are coming in as 1/12th of what they were in the original. Say I have a surface created from contours, ranging from -60' to 240'. The pasted surface in the other dwg indicates contours from -5' to 20'! > > Both files are in the came coordinate system, and have units defined as feet. All the X & Y values are fine. In fact, both files are copies of a third original. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I thought it might be wblocking as inches, but only the Z's seem to be affected. > > Oh, and where the heck is the setting to turn off grade break labels in a profile? I found all the other label controls.
Message 7 of 10
ekubaskie

That did the trick right quick. Eventually I'll have styles for it, but this was my first shot at really using C3D's features in a non-design context.

Thanks!
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Hey Doctor; Well I hope Mr. Simeone gets wind of it, then. It would be a nice addition to the Webcast archive, I'm sure. Hint, Hint. :-) -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "James Wedding" wrote in message news:4198a79e$1_2@newsprd01... >I hadn't heard that rumor Don. It's an interesting thought, hell, I might >even do it myself so I can splice it later. > > -- > James Wedding, P.E. > Technology Manager > Associate > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > Dallas, TX > XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G > LDT2005+C3D > http://au.autodesk.com > Sign up now for AU2004! >
Message 9 of 10
ekubaskie

Got it!

If default drag&drop units are set to inches, and the drawings are in feet, it does the divide by 12 thing.

I changed the default source/target units (in Options>User Preferences) to feet and it stopped.

That solves my problem, but why does it only scale the Z? It seems that if it scales at all, it should be in all dimensions.
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Hey eku; Thanks for the heads-up on this issue. It shed a whole lot of light on other problems I've been asked about recently at work. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" "ekubaskie" wrote in message news:9182086.1100803875635.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Got it! > > If default drag&drop units are set to inches, and the drawings are in > feet, it does the divide by 12 thing. > > I changed the default source/target units (in Options>User Preferences) to > feet and it stopped. > > That solves my problem, but why does it only scale the Z? It seems that if > it scales at all, it should be in all dimensions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report