Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Contour Extraction

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
tony1978
818 Views, 7 Replies

Surface Contour Extraction

I have a drawing set to UTM83 Zone 14 Meters and my drawing units is set to meters also. I created my surface from my point cloud. When i do the contour extract feature (surface object extract), the contours elevation is in the wrong datum or elevation? The surface contour is 620 but the same extracted contour says 188.97? Curious why this happens. It seems to me that it is back calculate elevation or daturm to a different coodinate system.

tony

senior design tech

Tony Carcamo

President/Owner

Civil CAD Learning Solutions

DFW BIM Infrastructure User Group

LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | DFWBIUG |User Group

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Feckit
in reply to: tony1978

Tony

You've got a setting somewhere set to feet.  Your drawing units are probably set to meters however I'm guessing that the elevation setting under ambient settings is set to feet.  Multiplication of 620 by 0.3048 is 188.976, with 0.3048 being the conversion factor from feet to meters.

Kind Regards

Feckit

Message 3 of 8
tony1978
in reply to: Feckit

ok I will change my drawing units to feet and my surface units to meters. Hopefully that will work. So when i extract my contours it should be on the right daturm or elevation.Tks Feckit

Tony

Senior Design Tech

www.tonyscivil3dworld.blogspot.com

Tony Carcamo

President/Owner

Message 4 of 8
OMCUSNR

Tony,

When you started this drawing, what template did you use?  It's REALLY important to start with a METRIC DWT, if you're going to work in metric values.  Just setting units to metric in an imperial template cna hose things up.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 5 of 8
tony1978

I'm using the company std template that is imperial. Ok i will definately try this out then.

Tony

Senior Design Tech

www.tonyscivil3dworld.blogspot.com

Tony Carcamo

President/Owner

Message 6 of 8
lbabic

I have a question regarding surface contour extraction in Civil 3d 2012.

Based on specifications by our investor we need to deliver contour lines that have intervals like this:

Major 5 m

Minor 1 m

Auxiliary 0.5 m.

Defining the first two was easy, auxiliary required some effort (I created user defined contour lines; fortunately there weren't too many otherwise I would have done it differently). In surface style I assigned each type with a different layer to make it easier to select each type.

Anyway, when extracting contours from the surface, using the above mentioned method I discovered that extracted minor contour lines also included my user defined (auxiliary, at each X.5 m) lines, thus overlapping the actual, and also exported, user defined contour lines. Does anyone know why this happens, and if there is any way to resolve the issue other than removing the user contours from surface definition and then exporting the minor contours, or subsequently deleting excessive minor contours by hand (which I would never do)?

Best regards

Message 7 of 8
troma
in reply to: lbabic

You would normally be better off starting a new thread rather than resurrecting a two-year-old irrelevant conversation.

I don't know why this is happening, but have you tried turning off the user contours, extracting the major and minor, and then turning on only the user contours and extracting them?  If that doesn't work I would simply define the Major as 1.0m and the Minor as 0.5m and extract them like that.  Then go and find the 5.0m contours and put them on a different layer.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 8 of 8
lbabic

Dear Troma,

"You would normally be better off starting a new thread rather than resurrecting a two-year-old irrelevant conversation."

First of all: tip dully noted.

"I don't know why this is happening, but have you tried turning off the user contours, extracting the major and minor, and then turning on only the user contours and extracting them?  If that doesn't work I would simply define the Major as 1.0m and the Minor as 0.5m and extract them like that.  Then go and find the 5.0m contours and put them on a different layer."

Second: I can think of many ways to resolve the problem relatively quickly and efficiently. What I don't understand is why does export minor contours necessarily include user contours (whether they are displayed or not doesn't matter as long as they are created/defined in surface properties as I have already discovered). Since I will need this a lot in my project and will thus encounter the same issue many times during this project I would prefer to have autocad do what it (by all reasoning) should do, and that is why I sought help here. If there is no solution I will be a bit disappointed but at least I will have tried my best to find one.

Maybe if You think of something else or know someone else who could help, You could let me know.

Best regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report