Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surface construction thickness?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Solway
390 Views, 5 Replies

surface construction thickness?

Hi guys

im learning civil 3d, (and comparing it to my other older software) im needing to create a cut and fill report for a huge 1200+ housing and roads development which is on a steep hill site.

ive created a surface for the existing ground (EG) and also the surface for the proposed finish levels (FG), using polylines as contours
now i can create a tin volume between EG and FG to get a rough idea on the cut and fill volume. However i need to get it more accurate, because its such a huge site even 50mm makes a 20,000m3 difference lol.

i have some questions:

first off i need to strip the toposil off the site, it varies from 300mm to 400mm in depth - i guessed at just lowering the EG surface by -350 on average, unless that is any other ways?

secondly, and most importantly, i need to account for the volume to calculate to the underside of the surface formation / construction build up of the FG
i.e. for a road it could be 600mm thick in hardcore/tarmac. Is there a way in civils 3d to specifiy certain areas of the site to have difference construction thickness?? for example, roads 600mm, gardens 200mm, buildings 300mm?

for example im looking for a volume, from the existing ground surface (-350mm in topsoil) to the underside of the construction depth of the proposed surface

hope that makes sense??
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
neilyj666
in reply to: Solway

If you have trial pit/borehole data then you can use the sampled depths at the correct locations to get a stripped surface see http://civilintentions.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/creating-geological-surfaces-from.html

There are a couple of workaround ways to get the formation surfaces (this is my preferred method http://ericchappell.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/magical-way-to-calculate-volumes.html) - how much have you used Civil 3D and what was the other software you used?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 6
Solway

only have used autocad before. if you can link to tutorials or point me in the right direction.

other software was a QS software that can generate cut and fill, but its very long winded and bad interface to see how the ground shaped, just inputting millions of levels and crossing fingers

Message 4 of 6
neilyj666

Try this also

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2013/infrastructure-design-suite/ci...

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
Solway

thanks, bit of bed time read lol

oh, and one of the blogspot links don't work

Message 6 of 6
neilyj666

try this http://ericchappell.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/magical-way-to-calculate-volumes.html although it is similar to the Autodesk university stuff

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report