Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Consolidation

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
csevers
332 Views, 7 Replies

Surface Consolidation

I created a surface by combining two other surfaces. How can I remove the surfaces I created the new surface from out of my drawing without losing my new surface. Thanks.

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sirjoelsph
in reply to: csevers

Just to confirm what you're looking for - You had 2 surfaces in your drawing to start with (1 and 2) and pasted those into another surface (3) and you now want to delete surfaces 1 and 2?  Doing so will ruin surface 3 if you ever rebuilt it.

You could take a snapshot of surface 3 and it will remember its current condition but would no longer be dynamic or editable.  You could also export surface 3 to LandXML, delete all of your surfaces, and then import the LandXML for a fresh surface.  LandXML will probably give you the best results.

-JOEL
Message 3 of 8
csevers

Yeah I want to get rid of the original surfaces to cut down the size of my file. I had to merge two surfaces together to craete a larger surface for my project. I have a bunch of other sheets referencing the 3rd surface so I don't want to craete a new one and lose the dynamic links.

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 4 of 8
sirjoelsph

As long as your sheets are only referencing the 3rd surface, the file size of the sheets themselves will not be affected by getting rid of the 1st and 2nd surfaces.  You would be able to cut down the size of the file with the 3 surfaces in them, but not by a considerable amount.

A better way to cut down the file size is to simplify the data that is being displayed by each surface.  Edit your styles so that the bare minimum number of components are visible (don't just freeze the layers, turn off the visibility in the styles, in all 3 view directions).  The simpler the style, the less data that is actually stored in the drawing.

-JOEL
Message 5 of 8
Joe-Bouza

Snap shot is a Best practices recommendation

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
BrianHailey
in reply to: sirjoelsph

@sirjoelsph wrote:

The simpler the style, the less data that is actually stored in the drawing.

This isn't necessarily true. Changing the style of the surface only changes the display of the surface, not any data in the file.

However, if proxygraphics are turned on in the drawing, when you save the drawing, an "image" of the civil 3d objects are also saved. The more complex the display of the objects, the larger the "proxy graphic" is.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 8
sirjoelsph
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thanks Brian, that's exactly what I was trying to get at.  Thanks for pointing out that it is ProxyGraphics controlling that.

-JOEL
Message 8 of 8
KirkNoonan

You might also try setting the 'Copy deleted dependent objects' in the definition to YES. It works with all of the other objects that can be used to define a surface

surfprop.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report