Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surface breaklines

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
rwatson654
1068 Views, 10 Replies

surface breaklines

I have a breakline in the drawing that I want to locate within the surface definition , how can I do this?

Civil 3D, 2009

Win 7 Enterprise 64bit

8 GB

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
darkman257
in reply to: rwatson654

Under the Prospector Tab, Expand Surface, Expand the Surface you want to add the breakline too, expand Definition, right click on Boundaries, follow the screen and then hit okay.  Select the line(s) you want and your are done.

Infrastructure Design Suite 2012 - Premium, Intel Quad Core 2.66 Ghz, 8 GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX4800

Dilbert's Salary Theorem: Postulate 1: Knowledge is Power Postulate 2: Time is Money. Power = Work / Time. Since Knowledge = Power,
then Knowledge = Work / Time, and Tme = Money, then Knowledge = Work / Money. Solving for Money, we get: Money = Work / Knowledge.
Thus as Knowledge approaches zero, money approaches infinity, regardless of the amount of work done.
Message 3 of 11
rwatson654

I already have the breakline defined in the surface, what I want to do is locate it within the surface definition.  I know its location on the plan.

Message 4 of 11
neilyj666

It's times like this when explicitly naming breaklines and boundaries as they are added to the surface definition really pays dividends

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 11
rwatson654

yes, but then I would have to think up unique names for several curb breaklines 

as opposed to calling them curb like I did

Message 6 of 11
jmayo-EE

With all layers on and thawed, expand the surface definition in Prospector. Expand the breaklines heading and right click on the breakline you want to locate. Hopefully you name them better than I do in the attachment. 😉 Select Zoom To.

The breakline in question will be in the center of the screen. I there are a number of breaklines in close proximity, Use the Zoom command, center option. When prompted for the center, hit return. Then type in a low value for the height, like 1 or .5 to center the screen on the desired feature line.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
rwatson654

I know where the breakline (FL) is in the drawing already.  The problem is finding the breakline in the Surface definition.  I knew I could use the Zoom To and be able to match the breakline up with the FL in the drawing.  The problem with using the Zoom To is it takes awhile to sift through all the other curb breaklines (approx 60 of them). I wish there was a highlight feature for breaklines like Figures have.

Message 8 of 11
troma

Don't think there is going to be a quiker way than johnm described.  You will have to go through each one and zoomto, check if it is the one you have in mind.  You could start at the top or bottom of the list, depending on whether you think you added it earlier or later to the surface.

If there are a few close together and you need to know which one you have zoomed to, I would suggest using the zoom command, then hit enter to go into <real time>.  With real time zoom (click and drag) you always zoom to the centre of the screen, not where the mouse is.  The breakline you've zoomed to will be right in the centre of the screen.

I agree, a highlighting feature for surface definition objects would be very helpful.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 9 of 11
d_reno

to avoid this problem - losing track of just which breakline is which, and which ones updated themselves or were completed removed when I do something to them like Trim, or did I forget to add this one? when I was modeling or tweaking an intersection or something - I will isolate the breakline layer, delete all breaklines from the surface (in Prospector), then add them all back in by selecting what is on the screen. I am not a fan of Feature Lines and the way they interact with each other (usually NOT The way I want them to interact, and I don't want 99 Sites to keep them seperate from each other) - so I typically use 3d polys to define breaklines. I create a 3d wireframe model that I know is right regardless of what is in the defintion, then I make sure the definiton uses only what I can see on the screen. 

David Renaud, RLS
C3D 2012 on 64bit Win 7 all up to date
Dell Precision 7core 8GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
LDT/C3D user since release 12
Message 10 of 11

Use visual lisp or .net.  If you don't know it, learn it.

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Message 11 of 11
troma
in reply to: brianchapmandesign

bcinnv, can you explain the relavance of lisp or .net to this question?

I thought statistics were like bikinis; what they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital!

(Now I thought that was Mark Twain, but a quick Google prior to posting tells me it's Aaron Levenstein)

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report