Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface boundaries and pasting....hurting my head

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
troma
487 Views, 11 Replies

Surface boundaries and pasting....hurting my head

One large surface.

Pasted into multiple smaller surfaces; made smaller by adding outer boundaries.

The smaller surfaces are adjusted by using the Raise/Lower edit.

Make a new surface.  Paste all the small surfaces in together.

Now, I notice an area that was not included in any of the small surfaces, but was part of the original large surface.  Somehow, this area is showing up in my final surface.  Any suggestions on prevention or removal of this?  So far I tried adding the polyline that forms the 'outer' boundary of each small surface also as a 'data clip' boundary, but don't see any difference.  Only thing that works is delete surface point...click, click, click.

Going home now.

Thanks for all advice.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: troma

Have you left a gap of say 0.5m (3" in old money) between the boundaries?

Have you draped & added the boundaries as a breakline definition in the "master" surface. If not this may be the problem.

Just clutching at strings really as it could also be the order of surface selection.

M.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 12
Neilw_05

I've run into a similar situation some time ago. I used a hide boundary to fix it.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 12
troma
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Half a metre is roughly 20" as far as I remember. My gaps vary from close to that up to 90m in one spot. What does editing the "master" accomplish?

Mark Green

Message 5 of 12
troma
in reply to: Neilw_05

I don't really want to hide the gap. I just want it to triangulate from one area to the next. In one spot I need to add some feature lines to it, so I don't think the hide boundary will work....or will it work if I use the hide boundary first and then add the FLs afterwards?

Mark Green

Message 6 of 12
Neilw_05

In your original post I didn't discern you had a gap. I took it to mean you were getting unwanted triangles. I don't think a hide boundary applies in this case so I don't have an answer.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 7 of 12
troma

Where there should be a gap, or where the TIN should be trinagulating straight across an area, unwanted data is showing up.
I tried a hide boundary. I added it to an area and then added feature lines to that same area. No go: the unwanted data showed up again when I added the feature lines.
I worked through it erasing surface points. That worked anyway.

Mark Green

Message 8 of 12
MikeEvansUK

Have you got a picture or a file I can look at pls? Hard to help trying to work it out in my head.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 9 of 12
Neilw_05

Since you've raised and lowered the various subsurfaces you will need to treat the edges like walls, meaning there has to be a slight offset between the boundaries for triangles to form between the boundaries. Too you'll want these boundaries to be breaklines for the triangles to form. Thus I think you'll need to somehow take all the subsurface boundaries, turn them into breaklines and slightly offset them, then add them all to a composite surface (rather than pasting the subsurfaces) to get the desired results.

P.S. I was wrong about not pasting the subsurfaces. You'll have to do that to get the subsurface triangles inside the boundaries. Will have to think about this some more.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 10 of 12
troma
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

I appreciate the help guys. Right now I'm under the gun, but I'll work on getting a picture to you so you can see what's going on.

I do have gaps left between the surfaces. But some of the old data was showing up in the gaps. Basically.

Mark Green

Message 11 of 12
Neilw_05

I suspect the problem you are seeing is related to using the same base surface in all the subsurfaces. The software is probably having issues resolving the merge between the boundaries in the composite surface which may be why the base surface is showing up.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 12 of 12
Neilw_05

What happens if you extract all the subsurface boundaries and add them as breaklines to the composite surface?

If you end up with triangles forming across the subsurfaces, you could try making a surface from the boundaries as breaklines and pasting it into the composite surface BEFORE the rest of the surfaces.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report