Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface border

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
polyrimutaka
2711 Views, 9 Replies

Surface border

Hi,

I created a surface from points.

Unfortunately, the border line doesn't connect all points but only external points. See attachment.

How do I correct it?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi,

>> Unfortunately, the border line doesn't connect all points but only external points

That is what a border should be! Could you upload a screenshot of a border how you would think Civil3D should connect.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 10

Hi Alfred,

The border line should look like in attachment below.

Thanks

Message 4 of 10
neilyj666
in reply to: polyrimutaka

Display the TIN lines and delete the one joining 10 - 13, then redisplay the border.

Unfortunately, the TIN algorithms don't necessarily know how to define the correct border especially in "concave" areas

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 10
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: neilyj666

Ordinarily I would say use min triangle length setting, but you jog looks like it may be the shortest not the longest. Extract the default border, modify for the jog and add to surface definition.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 10

Hi,

I have created another version of outline that use all points as borders. Can you give me a description why your version is the better one? If you can describe it (without saying "in natural there is" ....  because Civil does not see anything of this) we can try to find a way to program it.

I think that you have create your own border by drawing it as polyline and assign it as border to your surface.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 10

Hi Alfred,

The attachment Border_A.jpg I made from polyline, because I can't create it with Civil 3D, and I want to show you the real border line on site that I have checked it.

For others who answer my posting, I am trying your suggestions and will let you know.

Cheers.

Message 8 of 10

Hi,

>> because I can't create it with Civil 3D

That's what I wanted to say: Civil can't know what is your wish, because the points don't allow to get your suggestion as first choice.

Sorry if my previous msg was not to understandable in this way.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 10

Hi Alfred,

In my case, I only have couple points and at a glance it's easy to check whether the border line is right or wrong. I am wondering if I have thousand points. How do I check that my border line is right? Just my tthought.

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

Hi,

>> because I can't create it with Civil 3D

That's what I wanted to say: Civil can't know what is your wish, because the points don't allow to get your suggestion as first choice.

Sorry if my previous msg was not to understandable in this way.

- alfred -

Message 10 of 10

Hi,

sorry, I have not checked that my image I pasted in the prev. post didn't appear ;(

So here's the pasted image with another possible solution of how to find a border containing all points you gave us. And now once more the question: how should Civil know yours solution is correct and my (or some other possibilities) are not.

(hope the image appeas now)

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report