Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface bogs down drawing/computer

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
216 Views, 3 Replies

Surface bogs down drawing/computer

Since importing a rather large topo surface from LDT (about 200 acres and somewhat mountainous), I have had terrible performance with the drawing. Every time I save the file or regen, it goes through the process of "Enumerating Tin Triangles....Enumerating Tin Points......Etc. I have set the "Object Locked" button in the surface properties, but this does not seem to help. It seems that the file is too big for Civil 3D to handle, as just getting around in the Prospector Toolspace is extremely slow, and locks up on me half the time. I do not have this problem in LDT, so I know the file is not just to big for my computer to handle. The drawing is about 30 megs. I have tried changing the surface object style to "standard" "border & contours" etc., but none of them speed up the processing of the surface. My question: Is there a way to keep the surface from "Enumerating Tin Triangles" etc.? I would like to be able to keep the surface in my drawing, but have it dormant. -- Alan Belleau ABC Drafting
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

> My question: Is there a way to keep the surface from "Enumerating Tin > Triangles" etc.? I would like to be able to keep the surface in my drawing, > but have it dormant. good question. I find this "enumeration" process as a huge draw on the system and a real deterrent to liking C3D.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

I agree. I have the same problem processing DTM's with large data sets in Civil 3D.

Currently our company uses DTM's generated from LiDAR data for preliminary planning purposes. Most of the DTM's have between 180,000 - 2,000,000 data points. LDT currently has no problem processing the raw data or creating profiles and cross sections.

Hopefully the Civil Team is aware of the situation and is working on improving the speed. LDT has made great strides in generating and processing DTM data it would definitely be a draw back if the current level of processing can not be achieved.

Charles
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Improving the terrain modeling performance is on the priority list for a future release. Daniel Philbrick ISD Civil Development "derrico" wrote in message news:33255322.1079476335846.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I agree. I have the same problem processing DTM's with large data sets in Civil 3D. > > Currently our company uses DTM's generated from LiDAR data for preliminary planning purposes. Most of the DTM's have between 180,000 - 2,000,000 data points. LDT currently has no problem processing the raw data or creating profiles and cross sections. > > Hopefully the Civil Team is aware of the situation and is working on improving the speed. LDT has made great strides in generating and processing DTM data it would definitely be a draw back if the current level of processing can not be achieved. > > > Charles

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report