Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

supplement base mapping

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Hidden_Brain
209 Views, 4 Replies

supplement base mapping

how do you guys usually supplement your available base mapping for a project? not just elevations that I can get from seamless or lidar, but rough building outlines, roads etc in plan view. can i use lidar to do that? if not, any other data sources?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

Shp files when available, Digitze aerialin a pinch

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
antoniovinci
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

engineer4life1979 wrote:

any other data sources?

Without any doubts: http://download.geofabrik.de/

Message 4 of 5
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe, I do import shps when available, but most times i do not get road edges (only centerlines, not buildings but parcel boundaries etc. i have traced over mr sid and google earth images in the past to supplement base maps.

was just wondering if lidar comes in handy for this. imagine i only display the lidar data for buildings, then somehow make CIvil 3D connect the points and create building polygons etc. will be pretty cool right?
Message 5 of 5
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: antoniovinci

this looks interesting, I will have to look into this. how can i open a .pbf file? can arcmap open it? i did a quick google search and did not find anything definite. i assume this is some sort of vector data?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report