Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superimposed Profile

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
JoshuaBarlow
3494 Views, 7 Replies

Superimposed Profile

I am having a problem with a superimposed profile i created. I have an existing channel alignment and an existing channel invert (thalweg) profile. We are proposing a new channel right beside the old channel, as I am in natural stream restoration. So basically I have two profiles, an existing channel invert profile, and an existing ground profile for the proposed channel; I am superimposing the proposed existing ground profile to the existing channel invert profile. The parent profile of the proposed existing ground looks fine, but when i superimopose it, it seems to want to look screwy and double back over itself.

I have attached a screen shot of what it looks like.I am working in C3D 2012

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

-Josh

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
wfberry
in reply to: JoshuaBarlow

I am guessing your alignments look similar to a "switchback".

Bill

Message 3 of 8

Josh

I am working on a natural channel design, also I am having the same problem with me superimposed profile.

Did you find a fix for this?

Thanks

Jeremy

Message 4 of 8

Can you provide an image of the alignments and identify whick one is the main and which one is being superimposed? From my experience, the "double back" effect occurs when the source alignment / profile has a different orientation that the superimposed profile.

Civil 3D 2016 SP4
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50 GHz
40GB RAM
64-Bit
Window 7 Professional
Message 5 of 8

The main profile is the stationed 'cyan' centerline of the creek.  The source profiles are the left bank and right bank.  

Thanks

Message 6 of 8
sboon
in reply to: jeremy411dean

This is an old unresolved bug in the software.  When it creates a superimposed profile it always starts at the low chainage point on the source alignment and searches for the adjacent location on the destination alignment.  Once it finds that station it takes the source elevation and applies it to the destination profile view.

The problem is that the search goes from the source point out to infinity, so instead of getting the elevation of the nearest point from the source profile you get multiple criss-crossing lines from many locations along the source.  The only way to fix it is to limit the source station range.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 8
zsharp
in reply to: sboon

I'm using civil 3D 2014 and this is also the problem I am having. I'm leading a large BRT project and there is only one segment where the CL alignment is turning on itself but in severall places. As a result I have this same issue where my superimposed profiles are freaking out and displaying zigzagged trying to project to perpendicular the the CL alignment but also to points perpendicular between the CL to itself. Anybody know a work around? You will be my hero!!! 😄 

Message 8 of 8
deltacoolguy
in reply to: sboon

@sboon wrote:

This is an old unresolved bug in the software.  When it creates a superimposed profile it always starts at the low chainage point on the source alignment and searches for the adjacent location on the destination alignment.  Once it finds that station it takes the source elevation and applies it to the destination profile view.

The problem is that the search goes from the source point out to infinity, so instead of getting the elevation of the nearest point from the source profile you get multiple criss-crossing lines from many locations along the source.  The only way to fix it is to limit the source station range.

I know this is old, but I wanted to post and say this solved my issue.  Turns out the "infinity search", as I now call it, was happening at the end.  I have four separate profiles in series, and the superimposed profile was showing up in only the first one.  I do have a primary alignment that doubles back a bit near the end, and as soon as I figured out the spot to limit the superimposed profile it worked properly.

Thanks.  🙂

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report