Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Elevation at a 3 leg intersection.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1193 Views, 6 Replies

Super Elevation at a 3 leg intersection.

I could use some help here I have a rural 3 leg intersection and my main alignment or road is super elevated 4% in the middle of the curve I have a side road coming in on the outside of that super I have been unsuccessful in getting C3D to model this correctly, I need to know if it's my lack of experience with the software or is it something that is difficult to get C3D to do? and if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

i tried to open your drawing and help, but alas I only have 2010 not 2011.  I've done this type of thing before in 2010 no problem.

Dan

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

I thought I had saved it as a 2010 dwg however I made sure I did. so if you have the time give this a try. Thank you for your time.

Andrew

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

It still recognizes that it has been saved by 2011 product and shuts all c3d functions down when i try to open with 2010.

if you could recreate this in 2010 then i might be able to help.

Dan

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

yea I don't have 2010, but thanks for the attempt. I really appreciate it

Message 6 of 7
aecoursen

What part of the modelling are you having an issue with?  

Andrew Coursen PE & LS
v2014/64bit
Message 7 of 7
Jeff_M

If you are trying to use the intersection modeler, I don't think it works when superelevations are included in the mix. You will need to model it 'the old fashioned' way...although I don't use SE's here (we are just small single family subdivision type designers) so I haven't tested this other than for my own knowledge. Perhaps someone else knows otherwise?

This is how I would do it, a.k.a. 'the old way': create the corridor for just the main alignment, in 3 regions (before intersection, intersection, after intersection). Create the corridor surface. Now create the side road's profile using the corridor surface as a guide (snap to the pertinent points in the intersection). Add the side road to the corridor, up to the returns. Make sure you have separate alignments for the 2 returns. Profile the returns, again using the corridor surface as a guide. Add the return alignments to the corridor and set the targets to the side road fg and main road eop (extract this featureline from the corridor, but do not keep the association or it won't work as a target).

It sounds harder than it is. Just be methodical about it and it shouldn't take too long before you get the hang of it.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report