Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden server slow down and file size increase!!!!!!!!!!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
wang890
1951 Views, 7 Replies

Sudden server slow down and file size increase!!!!!!!!!!

we are having some major problems started about two weeks ago around Monday on June 7th, 2010.

All the sudden that day we have experienced slow file opening and saving across all computers.

later we noticed that the files are getting 3 to 4mb larger than they usually are. even drawings that used to be only 158kb are now close to 4MB. this only happened when saved in civil 3d. autocad is fine. but once file infection started then it will not come back to it's old size.

we did update our computer based on windows update and not everyone did that. but for those people's computer who never installed updates has the same problem.

it may have started earlier than that, since files get's saved and then get's loaded as xref. now that all xref has been saved and the production drawing gets super slow to open. normally takes 1 minute will not take over 10 minutes.

the IT has been working day and night to fix this problem. even get new server or some stuff.

some people who is in a different are but in the same city has the same problem. different server but working on the same project files. it's almost like autodesk put a if then statement in the software saying "if you used the software for 2 years, then kill all the files by dumping some weird objects in to make it bigger and slow"

so has anybody noticed something similar? or has any suggestions?

don't bother -purge, regapp, savefidelity, isavepercent, proxygraphics. it has nothing to do with that.

all using civil 3d 2009. i've attached a dwt file. it is 911kb. if we open that or start a new drawing with it and save anywhere, local or network. it become 4.2mb. i removed some windows xp update on .net stuff and now it's like 3.5mb. still something is causing it to do weird stuff. so if you have 2009 please help me try to fix this.

rename .zip to .dwt.

Stantec
Dell Precision 5530, Prism M320PU, C3D 14/17/19
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jeff_M
in reply to: wang890

Well, it opens quick, saves quick (even smaller) for me. I know you said the Regapps has nothing to do with it, but this makes me wonder....:

Deleting registered application "EPDC10506010945010".
3472 registered applications deleted.

Deleting registered application "EPDC10506010945010".

3472 registered applications deleted.

I also got 2 'reverse lookup' notices:

Loading AEC Dimensions Base...

Reverse lookup found: 

{0x042800CC,'aecc00080000ffff0000ccaeccae0000PrtSN','aecc00080000ffff0000ccaecca

e0000Part Size Name'}.

{0x042803F8,'aecc00080000ffff0000ccaeccae0000PrtS^','aecc00080000ffff0000ccaecca

e0000Part Size Name'} local must be unique.

All that to say "Works OK here boss!", so not sure what it could be.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 8
Matt.Anderson

Watch what and who is saving your files.  I suspect that the Civil 3d object enabler for your AutoCAD seats isn't correct or needs to be patched.  http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=11092427&linkID=9240618

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 4 of 8
wang890

what version did you use? i tried at home using 2011 and it reduced it to 673kb ish.

all our civil 3d copies will make it something like 3.7mb to 4.0mb. it happened all the sudden in june.

yeah. that reverse lookup thing has been there for a while. never caused any problem. we just ignore it.

oh. btw we tried 2010 and it did the same.

Stantec
Message 5 of 8
Jeff_M

@wang890 wrote:

what version did you use?

2009, just as you requested

EESignature
Message 6 of 8
wang890

oh. the file i posted is good. it's the xref in it that is big and will cause this file to get corrupted.

do you have an email? i'll send you a blank file that is corrupted. it has nothing in it and is 3mb.

Stantec
Message 7 of 8
Jeff_M

@wang890 wrote:

oh. the file i posted is good. it's the xref in it that is big and will cause this file to get corrupted.

do you have an email? i'll send you a blank file that is corrupted. it has nothing in it and is 3mb.

You've emailed me before and I have it set to be shown if you go to my profile. 

Just curious why you'd post a drawing, ask for someone to check it, then say it's not the one to check?

EESignature
Message 8 of 8
wang890
in reply to: Jeff_M

oh, it's you. did you change your screen name or something? that's why i couldn't tell

i thought our civil 3d has a problem in the first place that's why i just put a file there. now realized it's the xref it has causing the dwt drawing to get corrupted.

anyways i'll send you a blank drawing that is over 3mb, started from a template 60kb. and was ok til i xref an infected drawing and save it. then it become large.

what you can also try is make a new drawing or open some drawing which you know how big it is. then xref my drawing and then save your drawing (make sure you back up first because it will **** it up, trust me on that).

this is causing us big bucks as people have to wait 20 min to open a cad file and charging IT downtime.

i just tried but can't see your email. don't know where i put your old emails so if you can email me

bob.wang@hatchmott.com

just say hi then i'll email you back the bad file.

Stantec

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report