Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subdivision Design Workflow

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
schroeder.a
2941 Views, 13 Replies

Subdivision Design Workflow

Hi All,

I'm a looong time forum member, just working under a new name for the time being.  II was hoping to get your thoughts on the conceptual design process for a new subdivision with say 100+ lots, and 5-6 roads within it. 

What I'd like is to learn a workflow that lets me adjust the alignments/profile with a minimum amount of effort to re-layout 100+ lots, and which lets us explore design options more interactively.  Once we pin down a few alignment options, I would create a simple corridor with multiple baselines to develop the grading concept.

One thing that irks me so far is that the Create ROW command is nice, but it's not dynamic to the alignments.

How do you handle cul-de-sacs on this process?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
BrianHailey
in reply to: schroeder.a

Instead of using the Create Right of Way command, try using Offset Alignments instead. Put them in the same Site as your parcels and they will define your right of way and will be dynamic to the centerline alignment.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 14
owenmull
in reply to: BrianHailey

Yes, yes, to Hailey you listen, mmm hmm hmmm. 

Create a left offset and a right offset, and then whatever changes you make to the CL alignment, the offset alignments will come along for the ride.

If you want to get really fancy (like me) you can create a seperate alignment style that makes your offset alignments appear as ROW lines, with the correct layers and linetypes, yada yada yada.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017
in reply to: owenmull

@owenmull wrote:

Yes, yes, to Hailey you listen, mmm hmm hmmm. 

...with the correct layers and linetypes, yada yada yada.

Don't you mean, "yoda yoda yoda"? 🙂

It's times like this I'm bummed I can only give one kudo!

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 14
owenmull

Maybe I'll get you a new jokebook for Xmas....................

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

This is worth more than one kudo.  I am definitely stealing this idea.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 14
schroeder.a

too simple your answer, I think!

http://www.interstateauction.com/2008-06june-05_Jackson_Bridge_Subdivision_Lots/Jackson_Bridge_Subdi...

That's the kind of think I'm dealing with (but larger).  A nice big network of roads, very hilly, and I'll need to make a lot of adjustments to the alignments as I try out different concepts.  The offset alignment would only paralell my main alignment, not cleaning intersections, etc. 

Message 8 of 14
sboon

You should be able to use the intersection wizard for that.  It's not going to help you with the culdesac bulbs but you should be able to define either a radius for the property corners at the intersections or a chamfered corner if you prefer.

For the culdesacs you can create an alignment using the Fixed curve - center point and radius, and then add free or floating curves to tie into the alignments which parallel the centerline.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 14
sboon
in reply to: sboon

A sample drawing for those who want to experiment with this workflow.

star-wars-humor-30661.jpg

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 10 of 14
owenmull

@stevekoss wrote:

too simple your answer, I think!

The simple answers are always the best answers!

I would do CL alingments, then offset alignments for your ROW, create your parcels, then use the intersection tool for intersections, and use Steve's method for creating your cul-de-sacs. 

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

I like this so far.  I'll post a summary when we're through here. 

The next question I have is regarding profiles:

Imagine a three-way intersection.  With Road B tee-ing into Road A.  When Road A has a design profile that changes, and Road B tees into it, how do you handle the adjustment of the intersecting PVI on Road B without having to manually key in the new values each time you revise Road A?

Message 12 of 14
sboon

The intersection object handles that for you.  This example didn't include design profiles but if they were present then the intersection wizard prompts you to choose a primary and secondary profile.  The secondary one will have a PVI added at the intersection point which is locked and cannot be edited by the user.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 13 of 14
schroeder.a
in reply to: sboon

I found this out while testing the intersection object - I don't recall that functionality in 2010!  Very nice : D

Message 14 of 14
sboon

There's going to be a potential problem with this however.  I used the intersection object as a workaround to control the alignments which represent the lot boundaries in the corners.  If you try to use the same intersection for design of the roads then you probably cannot uset the offset and curb return alignments.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report