Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subassembly Copy to Another Assembly Giving Error

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
d4dooley2
6413 Views, 6 Replies

Subassembly Copy to Another Assembly Giving Error

Hello,

I am trying to copy one subassembly to another assembly, and I keep getting an error stating "This subassembly is not part of an assembly definition".  I am using the "AeccCopySubassemblyTo" command.  Nothing works including Move or Mirror either.

Has anyone seen this before?  Do you know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Dooley

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
d4dooley2
in reply to: d4dooley2

To further complicate things....  No assembly will attch to it... Even a new "box" assembly from the Tool Pallete.  Gives me the same error listed above.  Any thoughts?

Dooley

Message 3 of 7
Jeff_M

Is your original Subassembly connected to an assembly? The error you mention indicates it is not.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 7
d4dooley2
in reply to: Jeff_M

Yes, Jeff_M, it is.  And it is working in that assembly.

However, I used the "Primary Road Full Section" complete "out of the box" assembly to start the original assembly.  I basically deleted everything but the LaneSuperAOR subs from that though, and started adding on other subs (both custom and standard).  I did multiple copies of this assembly and created 26 different assemblies, all the while copying different subs from places.

I did this because I was also intially  having issues building my own assembly from scratch using LaneSuperAOR.  The LaneSuper subs were always wanting to be placed on the right side of the assembly, even if I changed the side to Left in the properties.  This was forcing me to Mirror one of the LaneSuper subs to get it on the correct side.  This in turn was also causing 2 weird groups in the assembly properties...  1 "Centered" and 1 "Right".  Very odd... Which is something I also am wondering about why it woudl behave this way.

I wanted a good assembly with a Right and Left group, which is why I started with the Primary Road FUll Section standard and edited it.

Using that Primary Road assembly from the palette seems to be the problem.  I went back and started another assembly from scratch again.  This time the Lane Super subs placed correctly on the left and right sides as I told them to, and I could copy subs from other assemblies to it now.

It seems to me that C3D didn't like me using an edited version of the Primary Road Full Section to copy subs and paste to new ones from.  But it just randomly started this, as I had created 26 different versions of the edited Primary Road Full Section (with different copies and pastes from others) and the model looks great.  All of a sudden it just started giving me the error, so I don't know what is up.  

Starting over with a new "Base" assembly from scratch seemed to do the trick.

Any thoughts on the above issues for furture reference?

Dooley

Message 5 of 7
Jay_B

I've never modified the OOTB Assemblies as you describe so I'm unsure if that's causing the issue.

This related post might help.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Subassemblies-Copy-Move-and-Paste-on-contextu...
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 7
d4dooley2
in reply to: Jay_B

Bingo!  I was selecting all of the parts of the assembly with a regular ACAD copy.  I will remember to only select the assembly marker when copying in the future and not all of the subs with it too.  That is probably what the issue was.

Thanks, again!

Dooley

Message 7 of 7
Jay_B
in reply to: Jeff_M

@Jeff_M wrote:
Is your originalSubassembly connected to an assembly? The error you mention indicates it is not.

To add to Jeff's great advice, if this error is encountered, try the "Add to Assembly" command to add the subassembly to the assembly definition.

Just got this error in some assemblies in a dwg I inherited.
Error: This subassembly is not part of an assembly definition.

The assemblies appeared to be working assemblies but would not allow the use of the subaassembly "copy to" command as it was greyed out.

Then I noticed the "Modify Assembly" option for "Add to Assembly" which I selected and the offending subassembly was moved to the Assembly Marker.
Moved subassembly back to the proper location using "Move To" and was then able to copy another subassembly to it normally.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report