Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SubAssembly Composer: Specify the LayoutMode height of a Slope to Surface Link

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
KPerison
1066 Views, 5 Replies

SubAssembly Composer: Specify the LayoutMode height of a Slope to Surface Link

I am creating a retaining wall SA that daylights to a surface.  The SA works as designed in both Layout and Roadway Mode.  However, I would like to be able to specify the display height in LayoutMode.  Currently, I am using "Slope to Surface" as the geometry definition and have set 0.1m as DeltaX for LayoutMode.  This works well for me when the wall battter is defined between 3 and 6 degrees.  However, if it starts getting closer to vertical the SA displays extremly tall and progressivly shorter above 6 degrees.

So, what I want to do is define the display height for LayoutMode and have DeltaX adjust to suit the desired display height and defined wall batter.

Here is the formula I already tried to use:

(WallHeight)*(math.tan(WallBatter))

Defined Variables:

WallBatter = 3

WallHeight = 3

For the above variables I would expect DeltaX to equal 0.157m.  However, what I get is a link that has a DeltaX=0.428 and a Height=8.160.  ?????

The other puzzeling fact is, if I change the wall batter from 3 degrees to 1 or 4 I get a slope in the opposite direction.
Can anyone help me figure out what is going on? Thx.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
KPerison
in reply to: KPerison

Attached here are some screen shots of what is defined in SAC2013 and what happens in Civil3D 2013.

Slope to Surface Link.png

Message 3 of 6
david.zavislan

Add a decision point to test for layout mode:

layoutmode1.png

Enter the expression SA.IsLayout in the decision properties.  This will return true if in layout mode, and false if in roadway (corridor) mode.

layoutmode2.png

Under the true (Layout Mode) branch, place the points and links to draw the subassembly the way that you want during assembly layout.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 4 of 6
KPerison
in reply to: david.zavislan

Thanks David,

I indeed have that function in my complete SA.  The one I posted is just a snipit showing the problem link.

Message 5 of 6
david.zavislan

Looked at your screen capture again.  You were using the layout property in the slope to surface element.   I think the problem is that you are not converting the WallBatter to radians in the DeltaX for Layout Mode, like you do in the slope property. 

I usually create a variable "WallBatterRadians" with the WallBatter*(math.PI/180) calculation.  Then use this variable in the point and link properties.

layoutmode3.png

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 6 of 6
KPerison
in reply to: david.zavislan

Of Course!! Wow, Can't believe I missed that. 

You can't beat a pair of fresh eyes. Thx.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report