Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subassembly Composer - Rail Alignment Cant

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
robertoando
2119 Views, 20 Replies

Subassembly Composer - Rail Alignment Cant

Hi,

I need some help!

I'm trying to make a subassembly for railroads with ballast, sub-ballast and other layers using the Subassembly Composer. My questions is: what do I have to do to the new subassembly gets the cant that was defined when I projected the alignment?

Thanks

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
doni49
in reply to: robertoando

What exactly are you trying to get?  The slope of the cant?  The elevation at the second rail?

Also if you provide a screenshot of your subassembly (including the "Preview" window within SAC), that would be helpful.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 21
doni49

After posting, I read your question one more time.  It sounds like you just wanto know how to get the lower layers to follow the same slope as the top layer.

If so, do it the same way you would for a roadway and in fact, you could probably use one of the OOTB superelevation subassemblies for this.

EDIT:  If you really want to do this in SAC, try the attached for example.  It should get you started.

CantExample.png

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 21
robertoando
in reply to: doni49

Hi Don,

what I want to do is define a parameter when I'm developing the subassembly in the SAC. This paramenter should follow the cant(rail superelevation) that was defined on the alignment.

Thanks

Message 5 of 21
doni49

Have a look at this page:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2012/ENU/?contextId=IDH_SAC_LANDING

Don Ireland

Message 6 of 21
doni49

Have a look at the attached pkt file.

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 21
robertoando

I'll do it. Thanks, Don.

Message 8 of 21
robertoando

Hi Don,

I looked at your pkt file, but it doesn't follow the rail alignment cant calculated by C3D. At this pkt file we have to define the cant slope in the subassembly properties, right?

What I want is the propertie that we can see, for example, at the RailSingle subassembly that comes in the C3D. This subassembly(without input any value of slope in the subassembly properties) follows the cant calculated by C3D for the rail alignment projected. 

I don't want to use the RailSingle subassembly because it's too simple and what I need now is a little more complex subassembly with more layers and other things.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 21
doni49

It is set up to allow you to specify a "Lane Grade" value.  This represents the cross slope when NOT in Superelevation (Cant).  The SA is supposed to recognize that it's in super and instead of using the Lane Grade value, use the calculated SE grade.

Can you post a sample dwg file?

Don Ireland

Message 10 of 21
doni49

@robertoando wrote:

I don't want to use the RailSingle subassembly because it's too simple and what I need now is a little more complex subassembly with more layers and other things.

If that's the only reason for not using the OOTB SA, have a look at "GetMarkedPoint" in SAC.  It should allow you to attach to a specific point as provided by the OOTB SA.

Don Ireland

Message 11 of 21
doni49

@robertoando wrote:

Hi Don,

I looked at your pkt file, but it doesn't follow the rail alignment cant calculated by C3D. At this pkt file we have to define the cant slope in the subassembly properties, right?

In the first pkt file I posted, that was the case.  Be sure you're looking at the second version (from this post).

Don Ireland

Message 12 of 21
robertoando

At the image below we can see what is happening. I have two rail alignments.The RailSingle SA at the left side doesn't have cant on the alignment and the right one has. The second pkt that you attached (with zero value of LaneGrade inserted) doesn't follow the same cant of the right RailSingle SA. 

Capturar.PNG

Message 13 of 21
doni49

If you post your dwg file, I'll be happy to take a look.  But without that, I'm at a loss.

Don Ireland

Message 14 of 21
robertoando

At the attached file the same thing is happening.

Message 15 of 21
doni49

Hmmmm.  It seems like C3D is treating CANT as a completely separate thing from SUPERELEVATION but yet they didn't publish the CANT info in an API for SAC to use (as best I can tell).

I really thought that it would be able to use superelevation to get it.

Don Ireland

Message 16 of 21

You can access cant properties with the Cant object class in Subassembly Composer.  Look at the help document for the available class properties: 

http://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2013/ENU/?caas=caas/vhelp/help-dev-autodesk-com/v/AutoCAD-Civil-...

You would enter them into subassembly point fields as className.propertyName:

cant.TrackWidth

cant.RightRailDeltaElevation

cant.LeftRailDeltaElevation

I would recommend using a decision with the cant.IsDefined function first.  If true assign cant properties, if false assign default values.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 17 of 21
doni49
in reply to: david.zavislan

Thanks David. I was looking at the help for 2012 and CANT wasn't on of the available classes - - I saw SE but not CANT.

I'll pass this on.
Don Ireland

Don Ireland

Message 18 of 21
doni49

Roberto,

What version are you using?

@KMercier_C3D kindly provided me with this link.  It's a link to the 2014 help.  Hopefully it'll also work in your version.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-4B38B545-C0D2-407C-9022-4AEB1C20774C

Don Ireland

Message 19 of 21
robertoando

I'm using 2014 version. 

Message 20 of 21
doni49

Here's a link to the CANT section of the SAC 2014 help.

http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Civil3D-SubassemblyComposer/files/GUID-66F6A991-F1C9-46D...

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report