Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subassembly Composer - Point Codes and how they are used?

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
LeafRiders
3785 Views, 1 Reply

Subassembly Composer - Point Codes and how they are used?

So point codes are my nemesis, and I need to make them my best friend because the Subassembly Composer is basically useless unless you use the proper point coding for your SAs. This I know... I've attached an image from the Autodesk Help file that shows multiple point codes per link and point for the DaylightStandard Civil 3D Stock SA.

Which point codes must I use in my subassemblies to ensure I can create corridor surfaces properly down the road? For example the DaylightStandard SA shows...

P3 shows: Ditch_Out, Hinge, Hinge_Cut

P3 also shows: Daylight, Daylight_Fill 

P4 = Dayltight, Daylight_Cut

If I'm building something similar in the Subassembly Composer what the heck do I focus in on for my point codes, and could someone provide some rules of thumb to help those creating their own SAs to avoid issues down the road. Something is telling me I will have issues with my Corridor surfaces down the road if I don't do this properly up front. Thanks in advance.

PS. I've seen examples where the Input / Output Parameters you define a string for the coding, is this to apply multiple codes to a point or a link?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
tcorey
in reply to: LeafRiders

While creating your point codes, just keep in mind that they are going to connect to other points of the same code to model the corridor feature lines. Visualizing that helps me keep the point codes straight. I don't think what you call them makes a whole bunch of difference, so long as you know what they mean.

You mentioned corridor surface accuracy. Normally the points don't get used (it's an option) for corridor surface creation, the links do. As you name your links, be thinking of the surfaces you will be creating. If you are going to create a top surface that represents the entire cross section, you have to apply a link code of the same name to all subassemblies that have a top link. If specific materials are going to be modeled as individual surfaces, then they would have unique names. Remember, though, that you will want more than one link code for any link that is used in multiple surfaces.  

Optionally, corridor surfaces can be built from the corridor features lines, which are generated from the point codes. In this case, the point codes become important for the surface creation.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report