Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SubAssembly Composer - Make a "Call" to Flowcharts / Sequences like Subroutines

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
KPerison
1697 Views, 13 Replies

SubAssembly Composer - Make a "Call" to Flowcharts / Sequences like Subroutines

Hello all,

I have a feeling the answer to this is just a simple flat - No.  But I'll ask anyways. 

In SAC can we make a "call" to a flowcart or sequence for repeated use in a subassembly similar to how you would "Call" a subroutine in other programing languages?  Rather than having to re-build the same flowchart/sequence that occurs on another decision or switch branch.  This would eliminate alot of duplicated coding!

Thx.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
doni49
in reply to: KPerison

You just add the desired sub assembly to the assembly within C3D.

EDIT:  I decided to expand on that a little bit.

Within your dwg file, you can have a corridor that uses one or more assemblies.  Each assembly will start with one sus-assembly on one side and optionally another SA on the other side.  Then beyond that, you can place another SA (or even another instance of the same one if you want).

So your first one can be SA1 and the second one is SA_A.  Then you might have another assembly that starts with SA2 followed by SA_A.  Now you have two different assemblies using two different SAs but then ending with a COMMON SA.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 14
KPerison
in reply to: doni49

Doni, I think you've misinterpreted what I was asking. I'm talking about inside SAC defining a flowchart or sequence once, then calling it over and over in the same SubAssembly so you dont have to duplicate the same code. Not reusing SubAssemblies in an Assembly.
Message 4 of 14
doni49

No can do.  The best you can hope for would be to open the other one, copy everything to the clipboard and paste it in.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 14
klugb

Several people, including myself, have requested the ability to use "DO" loops in SAC.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Loops-in-Subassembly-Composer-SAC/m-p/5056598...

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 6 of 14
KPerison

The Copy/Paste method is what I've been doing, but in addition to the duplication of coding, when you paste it in all the point and link #'s are also changed. The other annoyance with this workflow is - heaven forbid you need to revise something, now you must change the coding in multiple locations.

The SA I am creating is a retaining wall with daylight targeting for cut and fill scenarios. I need it to display either a cut or fill scenario when in Layout mode (so the user can see some representation when creating the Assembly). Then when in Roadway Mode create the retaining wall based on the cut or fill test. Basically, duplicated flowcharts with the same coding are used to draw the retaining wall on the LAYOUT side of the Decision and the ROADWAY side. As well as, the Descision trees for Cut or Fill.
So, just want to be able to define a flowchart once the re-use it over and over again just like you would "call" a subroutine.

Would make coding, editing and troubleshooting a lot simpler.
Message 7 of 14
doni49

You CAN have each of those items point to the flow chart as the next item.

See the following image for example.  The 4 points each represent one of your places from which you said you wanted to "call" the flowchart.

SACFlowchart.png

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 14
doni49

Here's one more example of doing this (or similar) from an SA that I actually created for production use.

SACFlowchart2.png

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 14
KPerison

Doni,
Thanks for the input, but neither of those suggestions "re-uses" any flowchart or sequence. 

The attached PDF shows my Current Workflow (Pg1) with the copied/duplicated flowcharts and Desired Workflow (Pg2) with "called" flowcharts.

1. Current Logic Schematic: (Pg1) the Flowcharts for TOE of WALL, TOP of WALL, BACK of WALL & Draw Alt Daylight have to be cut/pasted or re-coded on the ROADWAY side of the descision when they need to be used again.
  2. Desired Logic Schematic: (Pg2) the Flowcharts for TOE of WALL, TOP of WALL, BACK of WALL & Draw Alt Daylight are defines once, then "called" when required.
Message 10 of 14
doni49

I just looked at your PDF Page 2 and see no reason why this wouldn't work.

If I get some free time tomorrow, I'll put together an assembly that does this and post it.

Don Ireland

Message 11 of 14
doni49

I'll let you fill in all the decisions, flowcharts and sequences but the attached subassembly will do what you've asked.  I don't know off hand the code required to test status of layout vs roadway otherwise I would've put that in as well.

But with this, if you want to change "Back of Wall", you'll do so ONCE and that's it.

Rename the zip as pkt when you download it.

Don Ireland

Message 12 of 14
KPerison

Doni,
Thanks for all the effort to help me out. Your flowchart example certainly does illustrate how to define an operation once then reuse it. I suppose my problem was nesting the flowcharts to deeply and trying to make the chart "clean". I guess I'll end up with a plate of spagehetti, but I won't have to duplicate any code. 🙂
Its always good to see another's solution to open up other avenues of problem solving. Again thanks for the assistance.
Message 13 of 14
doni49

@kperison wrote:
Doni,
Thanks for all the effort to help me out. Your flowchart example certainly does illustrate how to define an operation once then reuse it. I suppose my problem was nesting the flowcharts to deeply and trying to make the chart "clean". I guess I'll end up with a plate of spagehetti, but I won't have to duplicate any code. 🙂
Its always good to see another's solution to open up other avenues of problem solving. Again thanks for the assistance.

I wouldn't say you were taking it too deep.  In fact I think it was smart.  Yes there are a few lines crossing but if you watch what you're doing, it's doable.

I'm happy to hear that I was able to help -- thanks for letting me know.

Don Ireland

Message 14 of 14
doni49

Also -- I do agree with you that it would be nice if we could do as you've described.  For that reason, I submitted a feature request.

This comment is specific for Subassembly Composer.

I like the way I can create a nested flowchart and/or sequence.  But I'd like to be able to place one "off to the side" that is not connected to the main flowchart.  It would have a name (in this example, "X".  Then at some point within the main flowchart, indicate that Flowchart X should run.

This would allow the same flowchart to be "inserted" in multiple locations without a whole bunch of crossing lines in the flowchart.

See the following thread for more info.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/SubAssembly-Composer-Make-a-quot-Call-quot-to...

The more people who request a feature, the better chance we have of getting it implemented.

So please consider submitting a feature request yourself at the following link.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report