Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SubAssembly Composer - Intersection TwoPointsSlope - not calculating as expected

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
KPerison
2606 Views, 8 Replies

SubAssembly Composer - Intersection TwoPointsSlope - not calculating as expected

Hello,

All I need to do is intersect from P1 a sideslope (1:1) and from P2 a superelevation slope (-2%) to create point P3.  However, the resulting P3 ends up near point P1 for some reason. 

I am having troubles understanding why the calculated point P3 is not working properly.  Maybe someone here can enlighten me?

This is my 1st real attempt at using SAC and I know I'm missing a small step here.

Attached is the .pkt file and a .pdf of issue.

Thx.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
KPerison
in reply to: KPerison

This is the finished sketch of the shoulder SA.

Message 3 of 9
KMercier_C3D

I've never used the Superelevation type as an Input Parameter. When dealing with superelevation I always make a "Define Variable" at the very start of the flowchart named "SuperShoulderSlopeCalc" (or whatever type of super I am looking at) with the equation:

if((Side=Left)AND(SE.HasLeftSO), SE.LeftSO,
                                                         if((Side=Right)AND(SE.HasRightSO),SE.RightSO,
                                                                                                                    CType(-math.abs(DefaultSlope),Double)))

Where DefaultSlope is an Input Parameter used if there is no superelevation. Note that the SO looks at outside shoulder, you would want to change these to LO if you are wanting to look at outside lane.

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 4 of 9
KPerison

Thank you Kati! That worked great.  Don't think I would have ever figured out that expression though?

One final NOOB question.

When adding point and link codes do I need to "Define Variable" for each new code? Such as link codes like "Top, Datum, Pave1, etc" and point codes like "EPS, ETW, etc". Do you add every possible code you might need into separate "Defined Variables" and group them all into a "sequence" at the start of the flowchart?

Again, Thanks!

Kelly

Message 5 of 9
KMercier_C3D

You can hard enter the codes directly into the point codes and link codes as strings if you want (don't forget to use the quotes around them if you do). I think this is the easiest to do when it is a simple subassembly to begin with. 

The benefit to adding a sequence with all the codes set as Define Variables is that it allows you to later change all the codes in one place instead of hunting and pecking through the whole flowchart for every instance that you want to change. 

AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 6 of 9
KPerison
in reply to: KMercier_C3D

Thank you Kati for your great advice. 

The SA is working now as is. However, the last piece of the puzzle to make it fully functional would be to allow the user to select the superelevation parameter vs hard coding in the "LeftOutsideShoulder" or "RightOutsideShoulder" super.  Sometimes we match our shoulder superelevation to the lane slopes. It would ensure the shoulders really do match the lane slopes. As well, gives more flexibility to be able to use on an Inside Median Shoulder.

The PKT file is attached with a screenshot.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be most greatful.

Message 7 of 9
LeafRiders

Was the Subassembly Composer PKT file within the .zip file? All I'm gettting is some other foreign file types. This is similar to a solution I'm trying to resolve and was hoping for some insight from your workflow.

Message 8 of 9
KMercier_C3D

Instead of extracting the zip all you need to do is change the text of the file name from .zip to .pkt. 

Message 9 of 9
KPerison
in reply to: KMercier_C3D

Since you are interested. The version listed above made you input an extension width for the subase layers which did not maintain a minimum topsoil depth when the superelevation transitioned into full super.  

Here is the finished version.   I modified the subbase layers to automatically maintain a minimum depth of topsoil no matter what the superelevation grade is. 

Have fun. 

And Katie thanks again for all your help. Kooooooooodoooooos!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report