Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subassembly Composer - Ditch Depth in Fill Condition

49 REPLIES 49
SOLVED
Message 1 of 50
jblackwood
5621 Views, 49 Replies

Subassembly Composer - Ditch Depth in Fill Condition

I am trying to create a custom subassembly using SAC 2012 that will place a 1' deep ditch at the bottom of the slope in a fill condition.  The trouble I am having is how to hold a consant 1' depth on the backslope and vary the foreslope since the daylight offset and elevation is variable depending on the slope of the existing ground.  I need the attachment point to be the edge of the shoulder so it seems like a loop that varies the foreslope length would be required but loops are not allowed.  I will also have the option to target a profile but I also need the ability to hold a constant ditch depth.

Has anyone tried to model something similar or have any idea on how to model this condition.  Any help would be appreciated.

Jim Blackwood

49 REPLIES 49
Message 21 of 50

post a screenshot showing (at least) your preview window and target parameters tab.

Let me see what you've got -- post your pkt file too.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 22 of 50

OK.  I cant seem to post the pkt file for some reason, tells me contents of attachment dont match file type, nay thoughts on that?

cutfill.PNGBut here is the screen shot

Message 23 of 50

Yes--in their infinite wisdom, the Autodesk people didn't make PKT (one of their own file types) a permitted file type.

Rename it as a ZIP file and post it that way (and tell people this is what you did).  When I (or anyone else) download it, it will need to be renamed back to pkt.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 24 of 50

You have to zip the file (or just change the .pkt to .zip) to upload it here. 

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 25 of 50

Based on what I'm seeing in your preview, it look as though your default values for one or more points is too low for it to work as you're expecting. Just to see what would happen, change the Target surface to -100.

Don Ireland

Message 26 of 50
doni49
in reply to: doni49

I just took another look at your screenshot.  The first point seems to start out at EXACTLY the surface elevation.

Don Ireland

Message 27 of 50

OK, lets try the zip file route.

Is this an issue for importing into Civil 3D as well, becuase when I try to import the assembly, it gives me a fatal error.

Message 28 of 50

If you try to import it while you've named it zip, it WILL fail.  Rename it back to PKT (that was only for uploading it here.

I'm opening it now.

Don Ireland

Message 29 of 50
doni49

I just tried to open it and got a strange error dialog.  I'm guessing you have a newer version of C3D (I'm on 2012).

SAC Error Message.png

Don Ireland

Message 30 of 50

Yes, we are using 14.  Is there a way to save it back?

Message 31 of 50

AP1 and P1 are currently defined as the same point so when you are using your decision to compare the two it is confused. Typically you would want P1 at the origin (to connect to the assembly) and AP1 to be your test point. From there you will then want to relook at your cut and fill logic as I think you have some negative signs wrong.

AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 32 of 50

I have revised and reposted the pkt.

What my goal is in a cut situation I want to put a ditch that is 18" deep at a 3:1 slope from the shoulder and then back up to daylight.  In a fill I want to put a ditch at the toe of fill that is 18" below the daylight point.  I hope what I have here accomplishes that.

Also, I was trying to import the pkt file (not the zip file) into my Civil 3D drawing and keep getting a fatal error, any thoughts?

I really appreciate all the help.

Message 33 of 50

In Cut. AP2&AL2 should both not be auxiliary and from point P1 not AP1. This would also make it so you don't need P5.

Also make sure to set the Side (on the Input/Output Parameters) to Right so that this can be used on the Right or Left sides once in Civil 3D.

I don't get an error when bringing it into Civil 3D so I can't help you there. Screen shot the error? Are you bringing it into a custom Tool Palette?

Message 34 of 50

I have revised the cut portion and changed the side to right (see attached).

When in Civil 3D, I created a custom palette under Civil Imperial and tried to import subassembly.  I

get this error:  Fatal Error:  Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x0008 Exception at c9a46180h (couldt post screen shot for some reason)

Message 35 of 50

I was able to get the subassembly imported.  However, when building the corridor, there is not an option for a daylight boundary.  Where do I set this?

Message 36 of 50

In Subassembly Composer, you need to assign codes to your points and links.

Message 37 of 50

So I have swithc to a different approach and used the conditional subassembly in Civil 3D.  I placed a conditional SA a the shoulder.  For a cut situation I then added a ditch with a depth of 1.5', then a link to surface at 3:1.  For fill I added a link to surface at 3:1 and attempted to add the attached pkt I made in SA composer.  While I can add the SA, it does model properly, it simply grade to existing grade and does not create the ditch.  Can someone tell me if there is something wrong with the attached pkt?  I have also attached the errors near the stations where it should be grading a dithc at the toe of slope.

Thanks

error.PNG

Message 38 of 50

Has anything more become of this? I created a subassembly like the answer to this post highlighted but it doesn't work at all. 

Anyone care to take a look?

I attached my SA, just rename the file extension to .pkt before opening.

Message 39 of 50
doni49
in reply to: KMercier_C3D

We need some more info here -- what specifically "doesn't work"?  i.e. what does it do that you DON'T want it to do?  What do you want it to do that it DOESN'T do?

Don Ireland

Message 40 of 50
doni49

Even though I don't know the specifics of what you mean by "it doesn't work", I took a look at your pkt file.  I do have a few comments that will hopefully help you.  They might not fix your issue -- I don't know.

1) When you put something like a slope or a distance, allow for the possibility that number will change at run time.  Make it so that it accepts a parameter.  That way you won't have to create a NEW SA just because a number changes.

2) Instead of making an aux point at the surface (AP2), I'd just make that a regular point (unless you might not want to actually use the point.

3) I don't see any codes (point codes or feature codes).  You'll need those as they tell C3D how to display the work in your model/drawing (i.e. what features to create).

I made the changes that I'm suggesting and it's attached (with the exception of putting in codes).  As to the codes, look for a blog entry from Kati Mercier about sub assembly composer and point codes.  EXCELLENT info and very helpful.

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report