Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subassembly Composer 2015 question about a decision point

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
scott.clark
1639 Views, 9 Replies

Subassembly Composer 2015 question about a decision point

This is a question for those of you who are familar with SAC. I will explain my SA(subassembly) that I composed and try to add a image. But basically it is a daylight SA that has an AP1 (probe) then a "decision" for DistancetoSurface to determine cut or fill, then if its a fill it goes left to another decision and everything works fine, if its a cut it goes right to another "decision" that if  AP1.DistancetoSurface(rock)>0 "true" then it puts a common ditch if its "false" it puts a rock ditch, also works fine.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM- when applied to the assembly and the corridor is built there are two surfaces for common and rock in my drawing. Now the EG surface is obviously continuous over the alignment, BUT the rock surface has breaks in it (ie, it may go for 100m then stop for 200m then start again etc)

Now what happens when the SA doesn't see any ROCK surface in that station range it doesn't put the SA in for that area. 

WHAT I WOULD LIKE- is that when it doesn't see a "rock" surface, to just apply a common ditch in that area.only consider the common surface. I have tried using the "IsActive" condition in another decision but that didn't work. I may have had it in the wrong place, who knows. its trial and error for me with this stuff but I'm running out of time. 

Yes I could set regions for the area's that there is no rock but it is like 10 rock area's so there would be several regions and that is just hard to manage.

I'm sure someone out here has a solution, whatever it may be i am all ears!!! I will try and upload the image showing as much info as possible.

If you have any Idea's please help.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
scott.clark
in reply to: scott.clark

Wow, is this posted in the wrong place or is this just not possible???

Message 3 of 10
fcernst

SurfaceTarget.isValid

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 4 of 10
fcernst

WHAT I WOULD LIKE- is that when it doesn't see a "rock" surface, to just apply a common ditch in that area.only consider the common surface.

Don't need SAC...Faster to do in C3D model environment.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 10
scott.clark
in reply to: fcernst

Thanks for your replys, I am going to try the Is.Valid and see if that works but I'm not sure what you 

mean by easier to do in the C3D Model environment. 

thanks

Message 6 of 10
scott.clark

*UPDATE*

I have tried the "SurfaceTarget.IsActive" string but is still reports the same error as original if the rock suface doesn't exist in the corridor data.

Does anyone know if there is a way I can tell the SA to look for the rock "target surface" and if its not there just put in a common ditch instead of a rock style ditch.

Maybe its a software issue..... C3D won't do it maybe.... 

Some guru must have the answer.

Thanks

Message 7 of 10
fcernst

I have tried the "SurfaceTarget.IsActive" string but is still reports the same error...

SurfaceTarget.isValid

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 10
scott.clark
in reply to: fcernst

Sorry, my mistake, I keep typing Active by mistake, I seam to have that stuck in my head (frustration over this maybe..LOL)
I am actually typing the "IsValid" in SAC. BUT, the only difference between what you have typed and me is I am using a capital "I" instead of "i" I am going to see if that makes a difference or not.
Message 9 of 10
scott.clark

Ok, this is what I have come up with now.  Using the  "Rock.isValid" condition works this way from what I can tell. 

The "isValid" controls the target object name.  if you leave the Rock Target set to "none" and have the condition "Rock.isValid" Desicion in your SA it works and it see's that, it will go to your false assigned flow direction. 

So its basically controls what happend if "none" is in the target surface assigned. But if you have a target surface assigned to Rock and it doesn't appear in your corridor then it shows the error  "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."  Which means its looking for the surface target, but its not there and then it doesn't assign you SA for that Region.

Clear as mud! LOL

Any thoughts??

Message 10 of 10
fcernst

I just did a quick test with the green rectangle below being my rock surface. I don't get those errors, but my True condition is executing outside of the rock surface.

I had this problem with the IsValid API about a year and a half ago with horizontal alignments. We confirmed it as a defect with support. Still seems like this API won't execute False when the section is beyond the target.

If you just need a simple ditch under EG, then use the stock DaylightRockCut subassembly. Looks like you have only one rock cut after the ditch backslope and that SA offers two for you..

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report