Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subassemblies - pkt, dll, and different computers

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
aed13civil
3954 Views, 4 Replies

Subassemblies - pkt, dll, and different computers

Hi everyone,

Can someone please tell me how subassemblies work, vis a vis pkt files & all the files created in the ProgramData folder (.atc, .cfg, .dll, .emd, .pvd, .xaml, pdb)?  Here's our situation:

A user will make a subassembly, save it locally.  The subassembly is used in a corridor.  A different user tries to access this file: the subassembly is there (shows in plan), but the parameters are empty and that part of the assembly doesn't run.  The subassembly doesn't appear in the Tool Pallet.  You do get a .NET error when trying to look at the subassembly.

How we fix this is to open up the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2013\enu\Imported Tools\ folder on the computer which made the subassembly, copy everything, and paste it into the other computer's C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2013\enu\Imported Tools\ folder.  How/why doesn't the drawing which has the subassembly in it just work??  And moving forward, how can we share drawings with custom subassemblies?  Remap everyone's .net search path to a network drive?  How do you even do that?

Thanks a lot,

Alex

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
aed13civil
in reply to: aed13civil

No one knows?  /bump.

Message 3 of 5
SkipBurns

How we fix this is to open up the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2013\enu\Imported Tools\ folder on the computer which made the subassembly, copy everything, and paste it into the other computer's C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2013\enu\Imported Tools\ folder.

This is what we do.  I believe there was an Autodesk post stating that this was the way to share the files.  It's very annoying, but it does work.  I don't think there is a way to map to a network drive for these. 

The best workaround we have found is when I create a subassembly to copy the files at C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2013\enu\Imported Tools\ into a network folder, then run a .bat routine to push them to everyone's PC.  It could also be added to a login script to have everyone check the network location for updated files automatically when they logon.

Message 4 of 5
aed13civil
in reply to: SkipBurns

Hey, I really appreciate it.  Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
btanner

Supposedly once the .pkt files are created, they can be placed anywhere on a server for others to then import those subassemblies into their installation directories using the Insert Ribbon, Import Panel Dropdown, Import Subassemblies tool. This can import them to a Tool Palette or to a Tool Catalog. Once a Tool Palette has been created, it can also be exported as a .XTP file for others to import.

Both of these methods are documented within the Autodesk Civil 3D Help as applicable methods for sharing custom Subassemblies. However, I have experienced very inconsistent behavior in how these operate and how successful/unsuccessful they have been on other workstations. I'm hoping for some clarity.

i7 CPU, 16 GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
AutoCAD and Civil 3D Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report