Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subassemblies at different slopes targeting each other

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jon_b
8712 Views, 6 Replies

Subassemblies at different slopes targeting each other

I have a ditch and a road that need to follow separate profiles but be integrated with each other as a single corridor and the ditch's 3:1 slope needs to meet up with the road's 2% slope.  Is it possible to have the two subassembiles target each other without having to create a dummy surface or a feature line for targeting to?  Attached is a snapshot of the road and ditch configuration.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jay_B
in reply to: jon_b

Daylight Basin and Daylight Basin2 support profile or feature line targets and could be attached to to the edge of road / shoulder.
Then the extra Assembly marker wouldn't be needed as it would all be tied together in one single corridor. Look at the help for these 2 subassemblies.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 7
jon_b
in reply to: Jay_B

My ditch will be at a grade of ~0.15% with periodic drop structures at 10% to correct for changes in elevation, while the road is to be a minimum of ~1.2m above original ground, wouldn't the DaylightBasin subassembly adjust its horizontal location to meet the elevation target and introduce jogs?

Message 4 of 7
Jay_B

If I'm understanding, yes the toe of the ditch would move in and out from the edge of road due to the variation in ditch grade but I thought you were asking for a 3:1 slope, not a variable one. If you do use the DaylightBasin, it helps to specify a very small number for the depth when controlling ditch depth with a target. Otherwise some portions of sub won't tie etc. depending on the terrain.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 7
sboon

If you wanted to maintain the 3/1 ditch foreslope and the 2% shoulder slope, and allow the intersection point to move as the ditch profile changes then LinkSlopesBetweenPoints may be appropriate.  In this case the ditch width parameter would be zero.  Set a marked point at the edge of the lane then attach the sub to the inside edge of your ditch.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 7
jon_b
in reply to: sboon

Jay, I need to maintain the 3:1 slope for the ditch and 2% for the road.

Steve, that sounds like what I'm looking for. Will try it out this afternoon.

Message 7 of 7
jon_b

LinkSlopesBetweenPoints solved my problem, and a bit of searching led to a descriptive post and sample drawing on AUGI's forum.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?131725-Help-with-assembly-problem

Thanks Steve, much appreciated!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report