Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subassemblies & Section Question

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
dbussie
334 Views, 9 Replies

Subassemblies & Section Question

As I've mentioned before, I'm new to modeling in Civil  3d and am trying to convince my Terramodel using coworkers that this is the way to  go.  With that being said, I'm still having a little trouble figuring things out.  I can't seem to find subassemblies that do exactly what I need them to.  For instance, I need a shoulder that has the base and sub-base extending past the rest of the pavement layers.  Is there somewhere I can go for help that might clear this up for me?

On a side note, my boss (Terramodel user) is used to having a cross section editor that has a table beside each section showing the offsets and elevations.  I've told him that I think the only way to get that is with a section report.  Is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

Desirea
FBL & Associates

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
tcorey
in reply to: dbussie

Hello Desirea,

On question 1, take a look at ShoulderMultiSurface. This allows differing width for pavement and earthen shoulder layers.

Regarding question 2, you can turn on Parameter Editor while in the Section Editor. This works best with two monitors.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 10
dbussie
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks!  I will check  out that subassembly.

On the parameter editor, it doesn't seem to show what he is used to seeing which is the offset and the elevation on his design surface and then he can switch to subgrade surface and see the offset & elevation on that, too.

Message 4 of 10
dbussie

I also need a subassembly that is similar to the Basic Lane Transition but that has the pavement / base thicknesses.  I need it to allow me to target a profile & alignment like the Basic Lane Transition does.

Message 5 of 10
tcorey

Use LaneOutsideSuper. You don't need superelevation for this to be a useful subassembly.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 6 of 10
tcorey

@dbussie wrote:

Thanks!  I will check  out that subassembly.

On the parameter editor, it doesn't seem to show what he is used to seeing which is the offset and the elevation on his design surface and then he can switch to subgrade surface and see the offset & elevation on that, too.

Sorry, I gave you an reply that doesn't directly answer your question. The parameter editor will provide some of the information you're asking for, things like design widths, slopes, daylight elevations.

In order to see elevations at specific design and datum points, you would use Code Set Styles. If you set it up so that one code set style shows labels for Top and another shows Datum, you could switch between them while in the Section Editor (Section View Options, at the bottom.) This would not show the data in a table, but it would be very readable nonetheless. You can label any points the engineer wants to see with many different data properties, including offset and elevation.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 7 of 10
dbussie

Thank you!  I will look into setting up a code set style that will provide him the information tha he is looking for.

Message 8 of 10
dbussie

Since you were so helpful with the other assembly, I was wondering if you could tell me one that will have the pavement thicknesses but will allow me to transition by targeting a profile or alignment.

Message 9 of 10
tscheevel

LaneOutsideSuper can target an alignment for width and a profile for cross slope. In the "Help" under "Subassembly Reference" there is a page for each OTB subassembly. In those pages you can find behavior descriptions, target parameters and code diagrams that will be very helpful after you get accustomed to reading them.

Message 10 of 10
tscheevel
in reply to: tscheevel

I should have added that polylines, 3d polylines, survey figures and feature lines can also be used for targets.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report