AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Contributor
Jay.Meszar
Message 1 of 14 (2,452 Views)

Sub Assembly Composer editing

2452 Views, 13 Replies
07-13-2011 01:22 PM

Does anyone know of a way to edit the stock Sub Assemblies provided by Autodesk??  I noticed they are compiled into a dll, therefore there is not a way to open them as a pkt that I am aware of.  My intention is not to get rid of what Autodesk has provided but to add on to them.  Many times I have been asked "This sub assembly is great but can it do this???"  of course it is the one thing that particular sub assembly can't do.  For instance, the Varying Width sub assembly can't extend the top layer while having the sub base layers go in a negative direction.

Thanks in advance for your help.

*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 2 of 14 (2,450 Views)

Re: Sub Assembly Composer editing

07-13-2011 01:34 PM in reply to: Jay.Meszar

The .NET source code for the stock subassemblies is included with the C3D install (look in the Samples folder). So if you know, or want to learn, VB.NET you can edit these to suit. 

There is also the newly released Subassembly composer for subscription customers which doesn't require you to know how to program. This works with both 2011 & 2012 products.You may be able to get what you want with this.

And lastly, you could just write your own (or have someone write it for you) code for the specific subassembly you want.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
Employee
peterfunkautodesk
Message 3 of 14 (2,446 Views)

07-13-2011 01:49 PM in reply to: Jeff_M

Jay,

The short answer is that you can't open the existing subassemblies with the Subassembly Composer to modify them.

The stock subassemblies were written in vb.net (source code included with the install), and the PKT files written with the Subassembly Composer use the new "Workflow" technology from Microsoft that store the instructions in a very different way. We are looking at providing more example PKT files that will mirror some of the existing subassemblies that you could use as starting points for your modifications.

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
MKearney028
Message 4 of 14 (2,385 Views)

07-21-2011 03:31 AM in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

Peter,

Would you be able to guess a ballpark timeframe for when someone will have the Standard Subassemblies ready for editting in the Subassembly composer (or similar)? I'm looking to simply change the link name of datum in a daylight subassembly and It looks like the composer will be a lot easier than learning coding.

Thanks,

Matt

Employee
peterfunkautodesk
Message 5 of 14 (2,377 Views)

07-21-2011 06:32 AM in reply to: MKearney028

Not that I can share...

Question: are you trying to change the name of all Datum Links or just the datum links for daylight? If you are looking at changing all the link names you should look at the "Codes" file instead. This file contains all the internal codes that we use in the subassemblies and a local version that will be applied to the subassemblies when used in your corridor model.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc. 

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
MKearney028
Message 6 of 14 (2,374 Views)

07-21-2011 06:37 AM in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

Thanks anyway Peter.

I'm looking to just change the daylight links. The real issue is that I want to make that bottom (datum) line dashed and I can't figure out any way to do it. I thought if I could rename the link code, then I could make a new link code style with a dashed line.

Distinguished Mentor
Civil3DReminders
Message 7 of 14 (2,357 Views)

07-21-2011 10:19 AM in reply to: MKearney028

If you want to change the codes, this posts covers the location of the of the file you need to change:

http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/2011/07/subassembly-composerpoint-and-link.html

If you want I can recreate the subassembly for you for a nominal price. Send me an email with the one you want created and I can provide you a quote. Christopher at Civil3DReminders dot com

Contributor
MKearney028
Message 8 of 14 (2,108 Views)

11-18-2011 06:12 AM in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

Peter,

Has there been any progress on editing the existing subassemblies? I've made quite a few of my own subassemblies in the composer, but I'm finding that it keeps getting closer to the stock subs with only a few modifications. Just some wishful thinking.

Thanks

-Matt

Employee
peterfunkautodesk
Message 9 of 14 (2,104 Views)

11-18-2011 06:44 AM in reply to: MKearney028

Matt,

There really isn't a way that the Subassembly Composer could open up an existing SA and make a modification to it. They are using two very different tools. What we are looking at is remaking a sub set of the existing SAs using Subassembly Composer.

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Rusty.Steel
Message 10 of 14 (2,016 Views)

12-01-2011 01:27 PM in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

How do we get our hands on this sub set of the existing SAs using Subassembly Composer? I have the same issue, wanting to just add a few codes to already useful SAs. For instance we need to have a code in the middle of the ditch, not just Ditch In and Ditch Out. I am working around that right now by using MarkPoints, but as you know I don't have as many capabilities with that. Thanks!

Rusty Steel

Cobb Engineering Company

Thanks,

Rusty Steel
Cobb Engineering Company
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.