Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub Assembly Composer editing

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Jay.Meszar
5264 Views, 14 Replies

Sub Assembly Composer editing

Does anyone know of a way to edit the stock Sub Assemblies provided by Autodesk??  I noticed they are compiled into a dll, therefore there is not a way to open them as a pkt that I am aware of.  My intention is not to get rid of what Autodesk has provided but to add on to them.  Many times I have been asked "This sub assembly is great but can it do this???"  of course it is the one thing that particular sub assembly can't do.  For instance, the Varying Width sub assembly can't extend the top layer while having the sub base layers go in a negative direction.

Thanks in advance for your help.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Jeff_M
in reply to: Jay.Meszar

The .NET source code for the stock subassemblies is included with the C3D install (look in the Samples folder). So if you know, or want to learn, VB.NET you can edit these to suit. 

There is also the newly released Subassembly composer for subscription customers which doesn't require you to know how to program. This works with both 2011 & 2012 products.You may be able to get what you want with this.

And lastly, you could just write your own (or have someone write it for you) code for the specific subassembly you want.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 15
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jay,

The short answer is that you can't open the existing subassemblies with the Subassembly Composer to modify them.

The stock subassemblies were written in vb.net (source code included with the install), and the PKT files written with the Subassembly Composer use the new "Workflow" technology from Microsoft that store the instructions in a very different way. We are looking at providing more example PKT files that will mirror some of the existing subassemblies that you could use as starting points for your modifications.

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 15

Peter,

Would you be able to guess a ballpark timeframe for when someone will have the Standard Subassemblies ready for editting in the Subassembly composer (or similar)? I'm looking to simply change the link name of datum in a daylight subassembly and It looks like the composer will be a lot easier than learning coding.

Thanks,

Matt

Message 5 of 15

Not that I can share...

Question: are you trying to change the name of all Datum Links or just the datum links for daylight? If you are looking at changing all the link names you should look at the "Codes" file instead. This file contains all the internal codes that we use in the subassemblies and a local version that will be applied to the subassemblies when used in your corridor model.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc. 

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 15

Thanks anyway Peter.

I'm looking to just change the daylight links. The real issue is that I want to make that bottom (datum) line dashed and I can't figure out any way to do it. I thought if I could rename the link code, then I could make a new link code style with a dashed line.

Message 7 of 15

If you want to change the codes, this posts covers the location of the of the file you need to change:

http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/2011/07/subassembly-composerpoint-and-link.html

If you want I can recreate the subassembly for you for a nominal price. Send me an email with the one you want created and I can provide you a quote. Christopher at Civil3DReminders dot com

Message 8 of 15

Peter,

Has there been any progress on editing the existing subassemblies? I've made quite a few of my own subassemblies in the composer, but I'm finding that it keeps getting closer to the stock subs with only a few modifications. Just some wishful thinking.

Thanks

-Matt

Message 9 of 15

Matt,

There really isn't a way that the Subassembly Composer could open up an existing SA and make a modification to it. They are using two very different tools. What we are looking at is remaking a sub set of the existing SAs using Subassembly Composer.

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 15

How do we get our hands on this sub set of the existing SAs using Subassembly Composer? I have the same issue, wanting to just add a few codes to already useful SAs. For instance we need to have a code in the middle of the ditch, not just Ditch In and Ditch Out. I am working around that right now by using MarkPoints, but as you know I don't have as many capabilities with that. Thanks!

Rusty Steel

Cobb Engineering Company

Thanks,

Rusty Steel
Cobb Engineering Company
Message 11 of 15

Those are a work in progress and not ready at this time.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 15
Rusty.Steel

Peter,
Do you think you could let me know when those are available?
Also is enabling feature line lifestyles something that could possibly be cleaned up?
Thanks!
Thanks,

Rusty Steel
Cobb Engineering Company
Message 13 of 15
Rusty.Steel

Sorry enabling feature line "linetypes"
Thanks,

Rusty Steel
Cobb Engineering Company
Message 14 of 15

any closer?

Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2245 CPU @ 3.90GHz 3.91 GHz
64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 15 of 15

So its going to be 2019 in a few months, you guys making any progress on this?  Its only been 8 years now.  I am frankly sick of the lack of support for this product.

The guy tasked with doing this I see doesnt work for AutoDesk anymore, is anyone else working on it?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report