Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Style Components on alignment not showing properly

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
mikeshick
1539 Views, 11 Replies

Style Components on alignment not showing properly

I have alingment style components set to various layers, where I control their plot and view style.  After years of successful control, recently I found that I the viewports are not displaying the layers correctly pertaining to the sytle.  For example, I have line & curve components set to a layer C-Road-Cl and all properties by layer.  Then in various viewports throughout the project, I'll set viewport overrides to control color and plotsytle of those components.

Today, I found that the C-Road-Cl layer will not control the view of the components or the plotsytle, and that the objects are only being controlled by the layer that the object is on.  But, this does not relate to Object Layers Drawing Settings, as I have the "immediate and independent layer on/off...." box unchecked.  Further, nothing seems to affect the color of the object in the viewport.  

After further research, I found that the a completely different layer is controlling the viewport display of the "line & curve" components (C-Road-Stan) and the alignment object layer is controlling the plotstyle.  

Wow...I'm befuddled.

Has anyone had styles "break in this way?"  This sort of makes my template I have built on for years broken!!!

Any help?

Thanks.

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mikeshick
in reply to: mikeshick

I spent many hours reviewing this problem and I believe there is a bug.  What I discovered is that the alignment mostly works the way it should when a mask is applied to it.  Without using a mask, the alignment using various random layers for it's control.  I checked this in OTB template files, old drawing files, and new ones with almost similar results throughout.  Would love to get some feedback from the community and Autodesk on this.  

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 3 of 12
troma

What version are you in?
How many versions old is the template?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 12
wrd_531
in reply to: troma

I'm having a similar problem in C3D 2014 where my alignment centerline lines and curves would not plot in the correct color even though they were set to "bylayer" in the style control.  I could change them to specific colors instead of "bylayer" and they would show correctly but they would still plot in the wrong color.  After some experimenting, i found that instead of the color being controled by the layer they were supposed to, C-ROAD-CNTR, they were apparenlty being controled by C-ROAD-MARK.  I changed the layer color of C-ROAD-MARK to the color i wanted and now they view and plot correctly.  Looks like a bug to me.

Message 5 of 12
mikeshick
in reply to: troma

Sorry...I never noticed this post.  I am currently on C3D - 2014.  The problem happens occurs on both new and old templates.

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 6 of 12
mikeshick
in reply to: wrd_531

After having spent some significant time with our Vendor, and them with Autodesk, this was a confirmed bug.  No one ever responded again from Autodesk.  The bug continues.  I haven't had a chance to load CD-2015 yet, but I suspect the problem didn't go away.

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 7 of 12
wrd_531

I just confirmed that the problem persists in 2015 on my machine.

Bill Dyer

Dyer Engineering & Land Surveying

153 North 8th Street, Suite B

Grover Beach CA 93433

PH 805.481.1223

FX 805.481.1323
Message 8 of 12
alansanudo
in reply to: wrd_531

Hi. where you able to solve this problem? my alignments keep plotting in magenta instead of black.

windows 7, intel I7, 8 MB RAM, civil3d 2013.
Message 9 of 12
mikeshick
in reply to: alansanudo

Nope, Nada, Zilch.  The bug is not a priority for AutoDesk. But I do get several calls a year on different ways of purchasing more software Smiley Wink

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 10 of 12
alansanudo

So it means there's no way to plot a black alignment???? im going mad.

windows 7, intel I7, 8 MB RAM, civil3d 2013.
Message 11 of 12
mikeshick

you can, just mask a tiny segment of alignment, and the black will show up.

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 12 of 12
wrd_531

Yes.  I found that the color of the alignment was being controlled by the layer C-ROAD-MARK.  I have no idea why but my alignments were plotting in blue even though the style was supposed to plot them in white (black).  Changing the layer color of C-ROAD-MARK from blue to white solved the problem.
Bill
Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report