Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure Reference Surface to Two Different Surfaces via DS?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
c_c__
350 Views, 4 Replies

Structure Reference Surface to Two Different Surfaces via DS?

From our design.dwg we have a sanitary network that is referenceing a final surface for the rims.   We have a situation where there will be manholes built to a temp access surface and then later be built to a final surface due to construction phasing.  So in the temp surface plan and profile I need to DS in my sanitary network and have them reference the temp surface and later in the final plans reference the final surface.  Im not sure there is a solution to this problem, but how can i do a structure surface override in my temp access plan and profiles to have the rims go to the temp surface?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ericcollins6932
in reply to: c_c__

I believe pasting surface together to create a hybrid will solve the problem?

Start with the temp surface, and when final surface is ready, paste it on top of the temp surface (essentially replacing it) and rebuild.

Others might shoot my idea down if they see flaws - please do so as necessary as I'd be interested in what others have to say.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 3 of 5
claycarr
in reply to: c_c__

Thanks for the reply! 

The problem with pasting the temp access surface to the final surface is that the final surface will have an additional 10'-15' of fill (and some cuts) on top of the temp access surface.  So in most cases we will have to add/remove sections from the manholes on the final plans.  My ultimate goal was to have one network and in the temp access plan and profile have the rims reference the temp access surface and in the final plans have them reference the final surface....thus having two different rims per set of plans. 

I think I will have to have two networks and have one to the temp access surface and the other to the final surface.  I would then have to add text to the struture label stating the initial rim elevation (from the temp access surface) and the final rim would be dynamic to the structure label.

Message 4 of 5
ericcollins6932
in reply to: claycarr

Ug - I see your problem. 10-15' is not a minor change. I didn't realize the scope would change that much.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 5 of 5
claycarr
in reply to: ericcollins6932

I agree, the change is dramatic.  A surface reference override after a DS would be benefitial to this problem. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report