Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure Labels

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
gmethuen
552 Views, 8 Replies

Structure Labels

Is there any way to labels structures with the number without having the name Structure in front of a space a dash another space and brackets around the number. To have SAN MH 1 or STM MH 1 is all I want. Plans get cluttered quickly.
Thanks in advance, Geoff
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: gmethuen

Name the structure what you want it to show and then put the name in the
label style. A attached an example of what it will look like.

gmethuen wrote:

> Is there any way to labels structures with the number without having the name Structure in front of a space a dash another space and brackets around the number. To have SAN MH 1 or STM MH 1 is all I want. Plans get cluttered quickly.
> Thanks in advance, Geoff
Message 3 of 9
gmethuen

In your example you have a structure named "SD-" ? Is that right? I have tried naming the structure MH SAN hoping to get MH SAN1, MH SAN2 etc. and I keep getting Structure (1), Sructure (2). Maybe I haven't renamed the structure in the right spot. I am renaming it in the parts list. Where does it get the text for the word Structure? I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this one.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

The text for the word "Structure " is coming from the name given to the structure at the time it was created. The structure was named in accordance with the structure naming template for the pipe network.

Open the properties of your pipe network and you'll see some information similar to that in the attached picture.

There should be enough settings in the styles involved (network, structure, and label styles) to be abe to come up with a combination that will fit you needs. Be prepared for a bit of trail and error until you figure out where things are coming from, how to manipulate them, how they react in different situations and what information can be used in a label.
Message 5 of 9
gmethuen

That did the trick. Thanks so much
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Another thing that can be done with structure labels (and probably pipe labels too) is to include the structure 'description' in the labels style. By doing this you now have a place to add user definable information for aspects of the structure that are not defined by the structure type or size. I use this method for outlet control structures in drainage basins. The structure is a typical 48" square yard inlet with a label for and outlet control structure. The label uses the standard structure name, grate elev. and invert out, plus the structure description. The description is where I define weir and/or orifice sizes and elevations for the structure. Multiple lines of text in the description can be accomplished by using a /P in the text for a line shift.
Message 7 of 9
ScotBIM

Reseructing a thread from eight years ago . . .. 

But surely there is a better option now?

The full structure label is important elsewhere, but a label showing only the structure number would be preferable on plans only.

A solution anyone?

Message 8 of 9
ccoles
in reply to: ScotBIM

When you create a new structure, the structure is typically named 'Structure (x)' and the description is pulled from the parts catalog. We go into the structure properties and rename the struture (under the 'Information' tab) to fit our naming convention. The only important thing here is that each name be unique. And, we also fill in the Description to show the structure type that fits our design, ie 'Curb Inlet' or 'Grate Inlet'. Once these are set, the labels become easy.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 9 of 9
jmayo-EE
in reply to: ScotBIM

Have you tried changing the Structure Name Template in your company's dwt?

Settings tab of prospector, expand pipe networks, expand commads, right click on Create Network. Expand Default Name Template and just leave the counter in the Name field.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report