Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure label when there is a mix of circular and box pipes.

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
rkmcswain
2960 Views, 23 Replies

Structure label when there is a mix of circular and box pipes.

In the case of a pipe network structure, where one pipe is circular (say 60") and the other pipe is box (say 5'x4'), how can you get the "connected pipes" label to reflect [size in feet X size in feet] for the box pipe and [size in inches] for the circular pipe?

An expression maybe? But I don't see how you can conditionally affect a portion of the "connected pipes" label since it's one label object.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
rkmcswain
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:

I think the point is to use the Description rather than the Diameter in the label.

Then you just have to ensure that all your descriptions are right!

I still do not get it. Each structure can one have one description.

The shape of the pipe is not even critical for the label. That could be omitted.

The important part is being able to see 2 things.

1. FLOWLINE

2. SIZE (diameter in inches for circular pipe & width X height in feet for rectangular pipe)

for each connected pipe.

Thanks.

Message 22 of 24
Jeff_M
in reply to: rkmcswain

Assign the Pipe Descriptions to the Pipes. Use this in the Text for Each:

3-6-2013 9-56-16 AM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 23 of 24
Cadguru42
in reply to: rkmcswain

There is also the option of adding a custom optional field to your parts list, similar to the Frame, Grate, and Cover fields. In order to do this, you have to edit two XML files in the Pipes Catalog system. The default folder location for the Pipes Catalog is C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2013\enu\Pipes Catalog.

The first file to edit is C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2013\enu\Pipes Catalog\Aecc Shared Content\AeccPartParamCfg.xml. You will need to add two new tags to this file. 

The location to add the first new tag is under

<AeccParamConfigSet>

<AeccDfSortGroup>

<INSERT NEW TAG HERE>

</AeccDfSortGroup>

</AeccParamConfigSet>

Here's an example of a new tag to add: 

<AeccDfParameter name="ConnectedPipeSize" desc="Connected Pipe Size" context="ConnectedPipeSize" index="0" datatype="String" usage="String_General" managelist="True" unit="" visible="True" internal="True"/>

The 2nd tag to add is found under the following. Wherever you add this can determine if a pipe or stucture get this new field.

<AeccParamConfigSet>

<AeccParamUsage>

<AeccPartDomainCfg>

<AeccPartTypeCfg>

<INSERT NEW TAG HERE>

</AeccPartTypeCfg>

</AeccPartDomainCfg>

</AeccParamUsage>

</AeccParamConfigSet>

The 2nd tag to add is below.

<AeccOptParam context="ConnectedPipeSize"/>

The 2nd XML file to edit is found in C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2013\enu\Pipes Catalog\US Imperial Structures\AeccSharedPropertyLists.xml.

You will need to add a new <ColumnConstList> tag to the end of the <LandPart> tag.

Example tag:

<ColumnConstList desc="Connected Pipe Size" dataType="string" unit="" name="ConnPipeSize" id="CCL5" visible="1" context="ConnectedPipeSize" index="0">

<Item id="i0">12"</Item>

<Item id="i1">3' x 4'</Item>

</ColumnConstList>

Any text that is inside the <Item></Item> tag is what shows up on the drop down on the part itself. You can add them here on your own or just type them in on the part itself. 

Below is a screenshot of one I just added yesterday in order to get the standard TDOT structure type to show up in my labels.

structure_custom_field.png

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 24 of 24
rkmcswain
in reply to: troma

GZE & 

Now I get it, and I think that is an acceptable work around.

Sometimes, it just doesn't sink in at first.

Thanks!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report