Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure Floor Thickness / Manholes

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Jonathan3891
3249 Views, 16 Replies

Structure Floor Thickness / Manholes

Is there a way to edit the floor thickness of structures?

I tried to edit a structure and changed the floor thickness to 0, but it wouldnt show up in the network layout tools.

Also I cannot find manholes at all in my parts list. Do they come with the factory parts list?

Jonathan Norton
Blog | Linkedin
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Jonathan3891

The parts list are stored in your drawing which would inherit the list from the dwt file you use. The NCS ...dwt file have a bunch of preloaded parts. I don't know how to edit the floor - sounds lke parts builder , yikes!

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 17
SethHall

Joe is right, you will need to edit the floor thickness in Part Builder: 

FTh.png

FTh is value you will want to edit.

Hope this helps!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 4 of 17
SethHall
in reply to: SethHall

Also for a basic tutorial on how to add/edit sizes, please see this blog post I wrote on the subject: http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/12/part-builder-how-to-add-custom-part-sizes.html

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 5 of 17
Jonathan3891

Ok I've changed the FTh to 0, but it only works for 24x24 rectangular junction structure. If I change the size to anything other than 24x24 the Floor Thickness changes back to 6".

Jonathan Norton
Blog | Linkedin
Message 6 of 17
Jonathan3891

This is making no sense to me, and I'm getting very aggervated lol.

Some of the structures are showing 0 thickness, and others are showing 6 inches. The thickness will stay 0 until I add a pipe to the structure then it goes to 6". What would cause this? A rule maybe?

Jonathan Norton
Blog | Linkedin
Message 7 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Thanks Seth. I remembered reading that blog in the past but forgot where it was. Do you have any suggestions on further examples/ readings? The PB has been a big hurdle for me, not that have have a need for elaborate structures or pipes but there are a few things I'd like to be able to do.

Also, in 2008 I point to our server for the network catalog which seem to me to be appropriate for sharing. I'm still testing 2010  and my catalog pointer goes to.. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\C3D 2010\enu\Pipes Catalog\ and I get an "earlier version" warning when I try to edit a part as your blog describes. This will not harm my 2008 parts, right?

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Thanks Seth. I remembered reading that blog in the past but forgot where it was. Do you have any suggestions on further examples/ readings? The PB has been a big hurdle for me, not that have have a need for elaborate structures or pipes but there are a few things I'd like to be able to do.

Also, in 2008 I point to our server for the network catalog which seem to me to be appropriate for sharing. I'm still testing 2010  and my catalog pointer goes to.. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\C3D 2010\enu\Pipes Catalog\ and I get an "earlier version" warning when I try to edit a part as your blog describes. This will not harm my 2008 parts, right?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 9 of 17
SethHall
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Hi Joe-

Glad you are making use of my blog post. I wrote a few others regarding a few different aspects of Part Builder:

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/07/assigning-optional-properties-to-a-part-size.html

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/03/runtime-part-parameter-configuration-error.html

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/02/quick-tip-how-to-add-a-custom-material-to-your-parts...

Other than that you may want to go through the tutorials found within Civil 3D. 

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 10 of 17
SethHall

Hi DSM_dude-

I can't reproduce this. I set the FTh to 0.000" in Part Builder, added that to my Parts List and drew a pipe network with connected pipes. The structure properties report 0.000" floor thickness:

FTh_0.png

Even with rules applied I can still have the FTh "stick" to 0.000". 

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 11 of 17
Jonathan3891

I've got some images to show the problem I'm having.

I am editing the "rim to sump height" so the bottom of the structure matches my inverts. This is something the Engineer wants. Upon editing the height on a few structures, I notice that the floor thickness will suddenly appear.

Jonathan Norton
Blog | Linkedin
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

I have had no trouble modifying part sizes in previous versions of Civil 3d but we recently installed 2012. I am able to open the part builder and change sizes and even able to validate the changes but when I try to save I get a message that the drawing is read only and it can't save. Any Suggestions?

Thanks!

Message 13 of 17
SethHall
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi jer7rob-

Try selecting the Civil 3D 2012 icon>right click>run as administrator. I have seen this happen on Windows 7 machines even if you already have full admin rights.

Hope this helps!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous

That worked! Thanks! This is the first time I have been using Win 7 and tried to do it. Now if I could just figure out how to eliminate the 2.0' sump depth default. Any ideas on that one?

Message 15 of 17
SethHall

Glad to help!

The sump depth can be set via your structure rules. However it still may appear that you have a sump depth if viewing in profile view and this is due to the FTh (floor thickness) of the structure. The FTh can be changed in Part Builder to whatever you would like it to be. If you don't read our blog, I have written a post describing this very process that should be posted in the next week or so. Please keep an eye out as it may be helpful: Being Civil

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

I did get the "Set Sump Height" rule set up. Thanks again! 

One question I have is why have a default of 2.0'? Is that a standard somewhere as a water quality feature for storm sewers?

Message 17 of 17
SethHall

Unfortunately I am not sure what Development bases their default sizes on of the top of my head. These sizes are easily editable in Part Builder, and if you take a look on the first page of this thread I have linked the blog posts I have written on this subject.

Thanks again!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report