Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure Alignment Refs Won't Stay!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Paul Richards
656 Views, 7 Replies

Structure Alignment Refs Won't Stay!

I have created a pipe network in a stand-alone drawing. Each leg of this network is associated with a unique alignment. This drawing and it's network are checked in to Vault. The alignment drawing and it's alignments are checked in to Vault.

I have a drawing for Plan & Profile drawing sheets. In this drawing, I have created a reference for the alignments and the pipe network. I have created each profile and profile view within this Plan & Profile drawing. I have drawn the network structures in the respective profile views.

The problem I am running in to is that each time I open and close the Plan & Profile drawing, the Referenced Alignment value for the structures keeps resetting to none. This, of course, hoses my structure stationing labels.

As one could imagine, this is an incredible annoyance. I can't seem to find a topic regarding this and have no idea where to look for a solution. None of my other references (surface, etc.) reset.

Does anyone have an idea?

2007 SP3 & Vault 5 SP1
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

To amend this issue...

I have another Plan & Profile drawing with a reference to another pipe network that does not appear to reset my alignment references.

GRRR!!!
Message 3 of 8
eallen
in reply to: Paul Richards

Paul,
Did you ever fix this? I have had the same problem for a long time and posted here without getting anywhere. The problem continues in 2008.

I did find a workaround but it is extremely annoying and cumbersome. If you want to know more you can contact me offline dkever@rekassoc.com

Dan
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

AUTODESK PLZ FIX! I have the problem of Pipe Structure Alignment Override references changing back to the original as well. It's now SP2.1 of Civil 3D 2009.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Danefuller, or anyone else that thinks this should be
"fixed", please submit a support request. I did and was told:

"This is as designed behavior. Referenced information is
always reloaded from source drawings."

To which I responded:

"Thank you for the update. Although
that is precisely not what I wanted to hear. When you approach the dev team
again, could you stress the importance of being able to use reference alignment
overrides when creating sheets? If we have a structure that is in a
street intersection, and we have 2 sheets, 1 for each street, then the time
honored (thereby absolutely required by the governing agencies) method of
labeling such structure is to use the stationing and offset based on the street
the structure is shown on....which means, 2 streets = 2 different station &
offset values. If the reference alignment could be overridden in each sheet this
solves that problem....wait, it CAN be overridden! So we change all of the
structures on that sheet accordingly, plot ,save, move on to the next sheet. The
next day the engineer decides to add some street signs to that section of street
so I open the drawing, add those signs, and replot...common sense says that
nothing else changed so the plot will be identical to the prior day's plot.
WRONG! Because the pipe network is DREF'ed. the reference alignments auto-reset
themselves to what the source alignment uses and now none of the station &
offsets shown are correct.

That being said, I can see a case for wanting to reset
the reference alignments. But never in the case I outlined above. This is a
situation that BEGS for a toggle that allows persistent reference alignment
overrides."

The more people we have making this request, the better chance we have of
getting something done.

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
AUTODESK
PLZ FIX! I have the problem of Pipe Structure Alignment Override references
changing back to the original as well. It's now SP2.1 of Civil 3D
Message 6 of 8
Jeff_M
in reply to: Anonymous

Resurrecting an old thread because it is still a major shortcoming in the Plan Production process. I've seen a number of posts regarding this over the years, but evidently not enough to warrant a change in how C3D functions. I still see no reason why the structure's reference alignment can be overriden but that override applies ONLY to the session in which the drawing is open....once the drawing is saved and closed the override gets reset. What's the point of allowing the override in the first place if it won't get saved?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 8
tfasgoldJJFC8
in reply to: Jeff_M

Does anyone have a fix for this yet? I am having problems getting stationing to stay after closing drawing. I'm using Civil 3d 2021

Message 8 of 8

Had the same issue with reference surface - not reference alignment- with a specific drawing.

Every time I would open the drawing the reference surface of some structures woul be set to "none" despite having set it to a certain surface before the last Save.

Solved it with fixing the errors after running the AUDIT command.

Sometimes AUDIT could provide good help for issues that only happen with a specific drawing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report