Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

street alignments with a "not so" parallel bikeway/trail

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
MKH-VB
323 Views, 5 Replies

street alignments with a "not so" parallel bikeway/trail

I am in the process of creating a road, which is a rebuild of an existing road, but during the rebuild, the client wants a bikeway path that is approximately 5-8 feet away, but doesn't run exactly parallel to the road. It will have more twists and bends in it. How would a guy go about creating an assembly for something like this? Do I have to create 2 separate alignments? Just wondering how the workflow would go on this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

MKH

mkh
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rkmcswain
in reply to: MKH-VB

In general, you will need some sort of alignment for the bike path, whether it's a true alignment or a feature line, then you "tie" this path to a point in your assembly.

Someone will be along shortly to correct me, add more detail, or both.... 🙂
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 6
awood

In addition to RK's advice you would create an Offset Assembly that would target the alignment/profile/featureline of the meandering path...

Kind of like in the screen grab below...

HTH

AWood

Offset assembly.png

Message 4 of 6
rkmcswain
in reply to: awood

Thanks @awood - as I was writing that, it started to dawn on me that it's been a L O N G time since I had to do one of those and I realized I wasn't much help.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 6
awood
in reply to: rkmcswain

Well you had step #1 correct anyway 🙂

Message 6 of 6
sboon

Four possible ways that I can think of.

• One assembly with a generic link and some targets to step across the gap from the road edge to the pathway.  All of the sections will be perpendicular to the main alignment.  This may mean that they're skewed, relative to the pathway edges so curbs and daylighting can be a problem.
  • One assembly with an offset assembly included.  At each section of the main alignment you will get another section perpendicular to the secondary path alignment.  You will need a design profile and possibly superelevation parameters for the path.  Since the offset sections are not perpendicular to the main alignment you may have difficulty using the section view/editor.  The sections will also be at random stations on the pathway alignment.
  • Two assemblies and two baselines in one corridor.  Similar issues as the previous scenario, but you should have more success with the view/edit tools.
  • Two assemblies and two corridors.  Also similar to above, but you will have to produce two corridor surfaces.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report