Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange SITE name

83 REPLIES 83
Message 1 of 84
rkmcswain
2690 Views, 83 Replies

Strange SITE name

Anyone ever seen a mystery site like this?

This alignment and the others in this drawing were created on <None> site.

C3D 2013 SP2

sitename.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
83 REPLIES 83
Message 21 of 84
losfotos
in reply to: Jay_B

I just posted about this with feature lines and grading objects... Rather disconcerting to say the least.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Strange-feature-line-naming/m-p/4987766/highl...
Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 22 of 84
rkmcswain
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Using 2014 now.

I opened a new, clean drawing using a clean template.

Created a feature line, and everything is normal, no crazy names.

Then I started a new drawing, using our "infected" 2013 template. Just opened it, nothing else

Then I switch back to the new 2014 (previously clean) drawing, and now the feature line is "infected" with the crazy long name.

So apparently, it not only infects drawings opened in the same session *after* an infected drawing is open, but all currently open drawings too.

At this rate, every working drawing in the house will be infected soon.

Message 23 of 84
jmayo-EE
in reply to: rkmcswain

I really hope I did not create a brand new corrupted template for my new employers....

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 24 of 84
losfotos

It seems that every drawing I now open now has these crazy names.

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 25 of 84
Civil3DRonster

Any updates on this issue? I started a clean new template from the blank ACAD.dwt and it started out ok, but now even brand new styles from scratch are having the **error**. We are also seeing naming issues with objects as well. I thought I saw a post somewhere that this is confirmed in 2013, 14, and 15!!!?

Regards,

Ron C.

Message 26 of 84
rkmcswain
in reply to: Civil3DRonster

Post 22 in this thread pretty much explains it as best as I can.
Message 27 of 84
Civil3DRonster

Wow RK. You are right that it won't take long until everything is infected.

Lots of fun...........or not.

Regards,

Ron C.

Message 28 of 84
losfotos

It's only a matter of time now before everything is corrupted with this naming thing. Drawing by drawing. How would you even figure out what has been corrupted/infected and which haven't? And how would you go about fixing it even if you knew?

Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 29 of 84
rkmcswain
in reply to: losfotos

IMO - we have to wait on Autodesk to ID the culprit, and then provide a fix to (a) stop it from happening, and (b) stop it from spreading to other drawings.

Seems a lot like the DGN linetype bloat problem, except that only spread when you did a copy/paste, not just by opening an infected drawing.

Message 30 of 84
Civil3DRonster

We were discussing this earlier today in the office and I mentioned that I wonder if it has anything to do with a Windows update?

Seems that alot of users are reporting that they noticed this starting around the same time frame. Just a thought.

Regards,

Ron C.

Message 31 of 84
rkmcswain

I suppose it's possible that they are calling an external DLL and it's returning a string where it didn't used to, or something like that.

I wish I knew for sure that it was only a display issue. IOW, maybe these objects contain this data anyway and normally it's just hidden from being displayed.

Message 32 of 84
Civil3DRonster

I hear that RK. I am not convinced that it is just a display issue or, as Autodesk stated in their reply to you, that it is benign.

With what I am seeing with the aecc objects, I think it is more than that.

Regards,

Ron C.

Message 33 of 84
losfotos

I am not convinced it is benign. If it was, people wouldn't be complaining about it. While it doesn't seem that it really makes a difference, when I do grading objects and my grading group and site are this long name and I have to reset them all the time, it becomes an issue. Even if it isn't doing any 'damage'... It's probably benign like the math error with the first pentium chips...
Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 34 of 84

I just noticed this in one of my drawings as well (Civil 3D 2013, SP1). Feature lines that were not previously named at all now have the strange names. The names do not display in the Prospector table of the feature lines, only in the Properties.

This is a fairly small drawing with less than 50 feature lines, so i renamed them all, closed the drawing and reopened it. The names i assigned to the feature lines held. However for drawing with more feature lines, or other affected objects, this may be too tedious.

Message 35 of 84
Civil3DRonster
in reply to: losfotos

I am now getting reports that this is definately not benign. I had a user tell me that after the **error** showed up in a curve label, the data of the label changed to ???. Benign behavior? I definately don't think so now.

Regards,

Ron C.

Message 36 of 84
losfotos

THAT does not sound benign in the least.
Carl Simpson
C3D 2015 & 2016
Message 37 of 84
jmayo-EE

Now propagating to layer names via site names for me.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 38 of 84
patwiggins8265

We are starting to experience this issue on our office.

Any word from Autodesk on a solution??

Message 39 of 84
rkmcswain
in reply to: patwiggins8265

patwiggins8265 wrote: Any word from Autodesk on a solution??

Nothing newer than what I posted in reply #12, which is essentially the same reply for most problems submitted.  Autodesk does not like to say when or if something will be fixed, published, available, etc. 

Message 40 of 84
rl_jackson

This is DEFINATELY not a beign error. I just modifyied a tag label that had lost its link due to the anchor error and now I have ??? in my table for the bearing and 0.00' for the distance.

This needs to be fixed across the board, right now.

Using C3D13, The only version that works for Surveying purposes, since ADESK can't fix the Survey Figure Properties Bug they keep breaking.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report