Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange behavior with Offset & elevations for sections views

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
280 Views, 8 Replies

Strange behavior with Offset & elevations for sections views

Hello everybody. 

I'm working  on section views. 

I want to use 30 meters  using "user specific > follow a section"

I'd expect to have my cross sections in the midel of this 30 meters high area but that is what I get.

Yes, I have 30 meters but C3D seems not to vertical-center the view on the section I choosed.

Any idea ? Thanks,

As you can see the sectons are not centers . The automatic option works fine in this example..

section.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jay_B
in reply to: Anonymous

Try the Mean Elevation height option.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

So, then does this option fail?

Message 4 of 9
Jay_B

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to use 30 meters  using "user specific > follow a section"

I'd expect to have my cross sections in the midel of this 30 meters high area but that is what I get.

Yes, I have 30 meters but C3D seems not to vertical-center the view on the section I choosed.

Any idea ? Thanks,

As you can see the sectons are not centers . The automatic option works fine in this example..

The "Follow a Section" choice uses a user specified elevation carried through along the sections, "Mean Elevation"
 uses the middle or average of each section. So no it didn't fail.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Jay_B

"a user specified elevation"

Where is the place I set that ????

Message 6 of 9
Jay_B

Here is the Help explanation of what it's using, A section is selected from a list during section view creation:

Follow A Section:

Specifies that the elevation is set from a particular section. Select the section from the Select Section list.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

So it means that the elevation is taken from which elevation of section selected ? The mean ? the min? The max ? 

What  I (and every normal human)  would  understand is that for every station  C3D use the mean of height of section and then use the elevation range, placing the sections in the middle.... isn't it ? 

What I have seen is that C3D seems to select  some strange min or middle  height .... as you can see in my first image.

Have you tried the option and get a good results ? Or like me, get a strange space distribution ? 

Thanks

Message 8 of 9
Jay_B

Did you try the "Mean Elevation" option? It will center the sections vertically in the section view.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

By now the only option that works fine for me is "automatic". 

Other fails always, I have no time to spent thinking whats going on.... 

Jay'B (or anybody) can you test  that "user defined option" gives a min height for every individual section view is agree with data sources ?  I think I have some strange error.... 

In adittion,  "Automatic option" how many height uses ? Where can I define it ? 

Thanks 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report