AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
Neilw
Message 1 of 2 (450 Views)

Straightening pressure pipe profiles

450 Views, 1 Replies
04-24-2012 01:25 AM

I'm slowly getting familiar with the new pressure pipe tools. So far I like the layout compass but I'm finding the rest to be rather cumbersome to work with.

One problem I have is how to straighten portions of a pipe in profile after fitting it to a surface profile. Each pipe ends up segmented according to it's cut length property. Typically after fitting it to a surface profile we want to straighten the pipe between critical points along the profile. I don't see any way to do this aside from dragging each segment. Is there a way to remove, add or adjust the length of individual segments?

Also a tutorial would sure be helpful. I don't see any other than the videos provided in the new features catalog.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
Infrastructure Suite/C3D 2013, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 7 64 PRO
HP Pavillion h8xt, i7 2600, 12 GB
RADEON 6450, 1 GB
http://www.sec-landmgt.com
*Expert Elite*
Neilw
Message 2 of 2 (415 Views)

Re: Straightening pressure pipe profiles

04-25-2012 08:25 AM in reply to: Neilw

For those who are interested:

From Autodesk Support:

I understand you are looking to remove some of the segments of the pipe after using the “follow surface” command in the profile editing tools. Unfortunately after this command is initiated and completed there is no way to remove some of the segments.

The segments you see created are governed by the cut length specified in the catalog. If you would like to edit the cut length to be longer or shorter this will reflect when the pressure network is created. This may be a way around having too many segments created.

I think the pressure pipe tool needs to stay in the oven a bit longer.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
Infrastructure Suite/C3D 2013, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 7 64 PRO
HP Pavillion h8xt, i7 2600, 12 GB
RADEON 6450, 1 GB
http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.