Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stormwater Dying?

65 REPLIES 65
Message 1 of 66
fcernst
1490 Views, 65 Replies

Stormwater Dying?

Have the Civil 3D stormwater programs been left to die on the vine? 

Nothing innovative has been done with them the past few years for us subscribers, and now months of conspicuously unanswered questions in the stomwater forum.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
65 REPLIES 65
Message 41 of 66
ctbailey
in reply to: fcernst

Na.

I have no desire to test any drainage modules for Civil3D.   They were kinda late to the party, so I personally have had years and years of 3rd party experience for drainage and hydraulics.

This thread is "Stormwater dying."  But I suggest that there could be another thread "Civil3D has reached maturity, therefore no additional work to be done on it, for fear of unstabilizing the code base."

For my money - what you see is what you get in Civil.  It does what it does, and it shouldn' be what it ain't.

_______
Craig T. Bailey, PE, LLS, PSM
Bailey Associates
www.bailey-associates.com
Message 42 of 66
fcernst
in reply to: ctbailey

I have no desire to test any drainage modules for Civil3D...

Color me skeptical on that...curiousity takes the day here. Light testing... if I do anymore they are going to have to start paying me.

Your assertion about stability I can see being more relevant 5 years ago, but I would assert not as much a worry now as then. They just need better direction and input from civil engineers.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 43 of 66
fcernst

Craig,

Do your 3rd party tools work within Civil 3D model space? If so, that would be great to hear about. Doesn't have to be autodesk for me in this regard, although I would feel better about renewing my subscription if they did act.

I would like to see new updated drainage tools within Civil 3D model space, as we had in LDD.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 44 of 66
ctbailey

Fred,

Oh God no!  🙂  I've been a loyal HydroCAD user since the early ninetys. 

Even with the "hassel" of me having to develop my subcatchments "by hand" and determining profiles and surface cover, I've never given stormwater in LDD or SSA in Civil more than the cursory 1 hour of demo time.  That's why I've never bashed Autodesks' storm water offerings.  I have just never given them any of my time to bother learning.

Back in the day of LDD, unless the TIN was developed with extreme care, the "watershed" catchments would be a little too wonky for me.

I'm quite happy with HydroCAD, and 99% of the regulators around here accept the reports without question. 

I understand Carlson and HydroCAD had tried workign together for automated subcatchment developement...   meh.

I've been trying to get Autodesk to EXTRACT the survey module from within Civil3D for years, sort of how SSA is external. My simpleton brain thinks if you bundle too much into a 10 pound bag, things get complicated.  Plus, we could buy Civil3D without a survey or hydraulics module, it would be priced equivalent to some competitors.

But I'm just a dumb surveyor.  Who do I think I am?

_______
Craig T. Bailey, PE, LLS, PSM
Bailey Associates
www.bailey-associates.com
Message 45 of 66
fcernst

Oh yes I have HydroCAD and use it for SCS when I need that.

I got Peter Smart to add the SCS Weighted Q approach here just recently. You may want to check that out if you haven't already.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 46 of 66
scott.sheppard

Based on the request made in this thread, I checked with our DLS team who is conducting the drainage design technology preveiw on InfraWorks 360. here is the answer I recieved.

Perhaps you could enlighten us on any design reasons why the Drainage Design module is being developed for InfraWorks 360 and not a more technical design solution like AutoCAD Civil 3D?

InfraWorks 360 is ideally suited to provide the engineer with the ability to engineer large-scale preliminary designs in context and allow them to collaborate with multiple stakeholders virtually anytime and anywhere.  With the two vertical applications extendig the InfraWorks 360 capabilities, one for Road and the other for Bridge Design, the engineer has the ability to design and evaluate multiple proposals while providing a richer, immersive experience for both the roadway and bridge engineer.  

Autodesk Drainage Design for InfraWorks 360 Preview has the same goal in mind – provide the engineer, the ability to design, engineer, and evaluate drainage proposals for a large-scale projects quickly in the rich immersive experience.  As a recent customer has indicated, “It’s not suprising that 3D models and visualizations are better at conveying designs that are, after all, 3D in nature.” 

Technically, the InfraWorks Drainage Design Preview contains the ability to delineate watersheds and streams across large terrain surface by utilizing the Watershed Analysis for InfraWorks 360 Cloud Service Preview.  This preview functionality leverages the benefit of the cloud to process larger terrain surfaces, computing the watersheds and streams, in significantly less time.  While AutoCAD Civil 3D provides watershed calculations for surfaces, and catchments for design surfaces , the larger terrain surfaces needed for projects provide a challenge of both compute power and cycle time for AutoCAD Civil 3D.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 47 of 66
dgorsman
in reply to: scott.sheppard

Thanks, Scott.  A little heavy on the marketing-speak but informativen nonetheless.  We have a number of offices in different cities with different focuses, and there have been discussions on how to better leverage that when a project in another city requires expertise they don't have locally.  Clouds for coordination are a little early in the lifecycle to adopt now but I certainly see the potential for both sharing and large-scale computing.

One thing I've noticed from the ReCap 360 program is a drastic slowdown in processing speed/increase in processing time once higher-end features become more popular.  There's a natural lag between demand and adding more servers to meet that demand, so better expansion planning for all of the AutoDesk 360 products would be appreciated.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 48 of 66
fcernst

Scott,

That's fine for Infraworks and perhaps dealing with really, very large watersheds. Actually when you get that big, most of the public domian hydrology software have GIS capabilities now that have become the industry standard of care for computing hydrology on large watersheds.

We need drainage tools and calculators in Civil 3D model space to deal with the thousands of culverts we are working with collectively, week after week. Most of these culverts, inlets and sewers have tributary catchments in model space. A few have had tributary areas and required flowrates computed by different methods such as USGS Regression eqns, HEC-HMS, etc.

These culverts, inlets and sewers need to be placed and sized with iterative HGL/EGL and flow velocity computation that is done iteratively in conjunction with the road vertical curve and profile design and other site constraints depicted by Model space survey data.

We need to precisely work through exisiting utility conflicts that we have the survey data for in Model space. We need to iterate on pipe cover and drainage requirement changes due to subsequent placement changes. 

Can you go find a team in Labs to work on drainage tools and calculators that live and breathe in Civil 3D model space?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 49 of 66
Cadguru42

@Anonymous wrote:

Based on the request made in this thread, I checked with our DLS team who is conducting the drainage design technology preveiw on InfraWorks 360. here is the answer I recieved.

Perhaps you could enlighten us on any design reasons why the Drainage Design module is being developed for InfraWorks 360 and not a more technical design solution like AutoCAD Civil 3D?

InfraWorks 360 is ideally suited to provide the engineer with the ability to engineer large-scale preliminary designs in context and allow them to collaborate with multiple stakeholders virtually anytime and anywhere.  With the two vertical applications extendig the InfraWorks 360 capabilities, one for Road and the other for Bridge Design, the engineer has the ability to design and evaluate multiple proposals while providing a richer, immersive experience for both the roadway and bridge engineer.  

Autodesk Drainage Design for InfraWorks 360 Preview has the same goal in mind – provide the engineer, the ability to design, engineer, and evaluate drainage proposals for a large-scale projects quickly in the rich immersive experience.  As a recent customer has indicated, “It’s not suprising that 3D models and visualizations are better at conveying designs that are, after all, 3D in nature.” 

Technically, the InfraWorks Drainage Design Preview contains the ability to delineate watersheds and streams across large terrain surface by utilizing the Watershed Analysis for InfraWorks 360 Cloud Service Preview.  This preview functionality leverages the benefit of the cloud to process larger terrain surfaces, computing the watersheds and streams, in significantly less time.  While AutoCAD Civil 3D provides watershed calculations for surfaces, and catchments for design surfaces , the larger terrain surfaces needed for projects provide a challenge of both compute power and cycle time for AutoCAD Civil 3D.

Since you can't make plans from InfraWorks and InfraWorks is only single-floating point precision, how can anything designed in it be considered accurate? When designing a road, inlets and pipe networks need to be designed, sized, inverts calculated, and plans given to a contractor and bidders. InfraWorks cannot do this, so why spend the time developing a drainage design system for a software that cannot produce what the end user actually needs? Unless Autodesk is planning on making InfraWorks replace C3D, then anything related to design is wasted in InfraWorks until InfraWorks gets the ability to actually produce construction documents, accurate models, etc. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 50 of 66
neilyj666
in reply to: Cadguru42

Because it's to do with the Cloud, therefore it is marketable and will get development time thrown at it...Smiley Frustrated

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 51 of 66
fcernst

Scott,

We need our Corridors to help us with an arduous and tedious task that civil design shops everywhere face continually. We need to speed up this design task to eliminate bottlenecks in the construction plan production workflow, and get product out the door.

The placement of on-grade inlets is governed by the Minor Storm. This is because the Minor Storm street capacity is more stringent because no curb overtopping is allowed.

As you know the tributary Catchment located to the side of the street grows as you move down the street checking for capacity..This recalculation becomes tedious for the engineer.

Starting at the top of the hill and looking down the Corridor, the Corridor would light up Green for as long as the street capacity criteria are met. Then the Corridor would begin to light up Red where street capacity criteria are not met. The start of the Red zone is where we need to place an Inlet to take flow off the street to meet capacity requirements. The Catchment is then finalized tributary to that Inlet.

The Inlet bypass flow is sent down the Corridor road surface. The Corridor now lights up green again past this first Inlet, and a new tributary Catchment grows,  until street capacity is exceeded once again.  Then go through the steps above…and on and on…

Capture4.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 52 of 66
mdjones3333

Fred,

I know what you mean with the iterative process and my development team is currently working on an add-on for smaller localized stormwater management and conveyance design software.  It will be similar to StormCAD however it will integrate the hydrology side (Rational or SCS Method) with the hydraulics (HGL, Gutter Bypass, etc) within model space and also pass flow values into the Pipe Network.  If you have any suggestions or wish list items it would be appreciated.  We are targeting the R2010 and R2013 Civil 3D generations.

Message 53 of 66
fcernst
in reply to: mdjones3333

Thanks however we need drainage to keep up with the evolving C3D Corridor and Subassembly objects.

There are defect fixes... and changes bound to come soon for these objects.

I want to be able to use a Featureline for a Baseline centerline for site grading purposes.

I do not want to have to be required to use a cumbersome Offset Assembly, simply to get correct orthogonal projection for Links emanating from a transitioning Target alignment.

It would be more appealing if you made your software upward portable.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 54 of 66
mdjones3333

Fred,

Our current software architecture focuses on the creation of a grid system based on an established DTM then using catchment delineation similar to that used within GIS software.  The base grid would be based on a selected cell dimension and then a somewhat complicated algorithm similar to TOPAZ used in WMS is applied to get a downstream flow network (set up on a different layer).  From this, the user creates feature lines along curbs to have the program iteratively determine drainage to points along it based on hydrologic parameters.  Its a start but it seems to work based on test model data.

Message 55 of 66
fcernst
in reply to: mdjones3333

...Our current software architecture focuses on the creation of a grid system... 

In our Surfaces we implement Breaklines, and we need to pick up that resolution for our basin delineations. A grid/cell GIS approach does not do that, the cells straddle the breaklines.

I think you need to use the TIN faces.

...Can't you use the C3D Catchment API?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 56 of 66
fcernst

Scott,

In Civil 3D, we need the ability to double click on a curb inlet that is located on a Corridor and have the inlet calculator pop up. Then we would have the ability to upsize the inlet from a 5' inlet to a 15' inlet, and the intercepted and bypassed flows would be recalculated.

Upon closing the inlet calculator, the geometry of the inlet updates. The length of lit up green Corridor downstream of this inlet that represents the extent of where street capacity is not being exceeded, would extend further down the Corridor because we just took more flow off the road with the larger inlet.

The next inlet basin consisting of area tributary to the road would begin to be computed iteratively down the road.

We would place another inlet where the Corridor begins to be lit up red again, representing the point where street capacity begins to be exceeded.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 57 of 66
scott.sheppard

Thank you for the detailed use case. I am sure the AutoCAD Civil 3D Product Managers, who comb the forums routinely, can consider it in their planning.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 58 of 66
fcernst

..I am sure the AutoCAD Civil 3D Product Managers..

What about you...no? Are you only involved with the presentation software Infraworks then?

I thought you were specifically seeking yourself if you were headed in the right direction regarding our stormwater design needs?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 59 of 66
rendarin

SSA has been our next step in mastering C3D ever since we started using C3D in 2011; however based on the replies in this thread do you guys think it would be worth still learning how to use it?

I tried learning by just feeling around and it seemed a bit clunky, but I'm not sure if it's just because I wasn't familiar with the software or it really is just like that.
Message 60 of 66
scott.sheppard

Fred:

For me personally, my background is software engineering. I am about coding and testing. My blog post today talks a little about where my focus is:

http://labs.blogs.com/its_alive_in_the_lab/2014/07/project-bonfire-allows-sharing-autodesk-informati...

ANother thing I do is monitor the Labs feedback. When I see anything about Labs mentioned in the forums, I try to get a subject matter expert to answer it, or I take a shot at it myself. So when the Drainage Design / Watershed  Analysis technology preview for InfraWorks 360 was mentioned here, I ventured over.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report