Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Station label varies for bend point between two similar alignments

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
robertjohnson5316
496 Views, 4 Replies

Station label varies for bend point between two similar alignments

Sorry folks if this ends up not making any sense. I had a hard time putting into words what the problem is for the subject.

Basically I have a centerline alignment for a roadway and another alignment for a retaining wall. They both have the same bearings and a common horizontal bend point, though the wall tapers off in another direction at the end. The issue I'm having is at the common horizontal bend point, when I label my retaining wall bend point and reference the centerline I get a different centerline station than what I should be getting. It appears that when Civil3D calculates the reference station, it uses the line segment after the bend point instead of the line segment before. 

Is this dependent on a C3D setting and is it possible to change this?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jeff_M
in reply to: robertjohnson5316

THe stationing is calculated based on getting the closest point on the alignment from the point being labeled. In this case, since the 2 alignments are closer together (45.45) north of the angle points than they are (45.46) south of them, it is getting the expected station.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 5
robertjohnson5316
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff, do you agree that this is an error? I want to make sure what I'm thinking is correct. I was under the impression that when C3D calculated the station/offset, it did so based upon a point on the reference alignment perpendicular to the current alignment's point of interest. Is it possible to correct this without overwriting the label?

Message 4 of 5
Jeff_M
in reply to: robertjohnson5316

No, Robert, it is not in error. It is taking the shortest perpendicular point to get the station. From the easterly alignment there are 2 possible perpendicular lines to the westerly alignment. It is getting the station from the shortest of those 2.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 5
robertjohnson5316
in reply to: Jeff_M

Maybe "error" isn't the correct term. C3D isn't doing anything wrong, per se, but it is confusing. For example, I'm working off of a set of drawings (see attached) that did not provide offsets within the station callouts, instead a note is on the drawing that says that all offsets are 45.46' Rt. Had I not plotted the centerline and wall alignment in C3D (or ACAD), I would have not realized that the bend point for the centerline is the same point for the wall. 

Thanks for helping me figure this out. Had the contract plans I received shown the offset, I may not have gotten this confused.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report