AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Reply
*Townes, Tyler
Message 1 of 8 (632 Views)

sta: xx+xx offset xx L/R

632 Views, 7 Replies
10-14-2003 02:11 AM
Hi,

I have been previewing Civil 3D and have a couple of questions. So far, it
is quite impressive!

1) Is there a way to program the words left/right instead of +/- into the
alignment station offset label style?

2) Is there a way to input random text into individual alignment station
offset labels, after the label is created? I.e.sta: x+xx offset xx L,
Install Water Meter, where the station and offset are dynamic labels, and
the "Install Water Meter" is user input, all connected (similar to mtext),
so dragging can be completed with one grip edit, leaving no data behind.

Thanks,

Tyler
*Karen Dowling, Autodesk ISD Test Develo
Message 2 of 8 (633 Views)

xx+xx offset xx L/R

10-14-2003 02:36 AM in reply to: *Townes, Tyler
Hi Tyler,
You can add user-defined text to the label, which is part of label itself.
No need to have two separate pieces of text.

Right-click on the station offset label style and select edit. Go to the
layout tab and click inside the Text > Contents value field to display the
menu button. Pick on the menu button to display the Text Component Editor
dialog box. .

In the display on the right, you will see default label properties for
station offset. You can add to this list or completely eliminate all of
them and add what you want - which is what you will want to do to achieve
your label.

Starting from scratch in that display, from the left side of the dialog,
select Station Value from the properties list and hit the add button (blue
arrow) - you will see the attribute appear in the display. Now click at the
beginning of this string (outside of the < > brackets) and type the text you
want, STA. for example. This will give you STA. XX+XX. To add the offset
value - simply set your pointer at the end of the string and add the offset
attribute from the properties pulldown, again, using the blue arrow to ADD
it. Set the pointer to the end of string, and type INSTALL WATER METER.

You can type in text into the label anywhere outside of the < > brackets
which enclose the attributes you have added.

Hope that helps :smileyhappy:
--
Karen Dowling
Autodesk ISD QA Analyst
*Karen Dowling, Autodesk ISD Test Develo
Message 3 of 8 (632 Views)

xx+xx offset xx L/R

10-14-2003 02:55 AM in reply to: *Townes, Tyler
Hi Tyler,
Sorry, forgot to talk about the L/R attribute.....

Currently, the program is displaying Left as a negative offset value and
Right as a positive value.
Incorporating a L/R attribute is a wish list item. To obtain that result at
this time, you would have to create two Station Offset label styles, one
that would be used for labeling left offsets and the other to label right
offsets. The difference between them would be adding either a user text L
or R after the offset attribute. Of course, with the left offset, you will
still see the negative sign in front of the offset value.

--
Karen Dowling
Autodesk ISD QA Analyst
*Townes, Tyler
Message 4 of 8 (632 Views)

xx+xx offset xx L/R

10-15-2003 08:43 AM in reply to: *Townes, Tyler
Hi Karen,

All the following pertains to "alignment station offset labels."

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure that is exactly what I'm looking
for. I'm hearing you say that I need to create a new style for every
"sta:smileysurprised:ffset: callout" on the plans (correct me if I'm wrong). This might be
tedious when there are hundreds of different text callouts on a typical set
of plans.

What I am looking for is a style with user editable text fields w/o editing
the label style itself. In other words, you might have the automated data
(<>), but also on a individual label by label basis have the ability to add
user input text as needed throughout a project. The perfect scenario would
be, add a label to needed locations of user chosen label style, and be
prompted to add user input text (simply enter for no text), and of course be
able to double click on an individual label and edit the user input text
after the fact.

On the same subject, does Civil3d have tags and tables for alignment station
offset labels. If not, that would be an invaluable feature. And again,
these labels would need a user input text field.

Note: This user input text field can range from any number of call-outs and
is constantly fine tuned wording throughout most projects. (ie. Install
this per..., Remove this according to..., See that...)

Thank you!


Tyler


"Karen Dowling, Autodesk ISD Test Development"
wrote in message
news:smileyvery-happy:B72F202777C9EDB6FF2696A3879D5C0@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Hi Tyler,
> You can add user-defined text to the label, which is part of label itself.
> No need to have two separate pieces of text.
>
> Right-click on the station offset label style and select edit. Go to the
> layout tab and click inside the Text > Contents value field to display the
> menu button. Pick on the menu button to display the Text Component Editor
> dialog box. .
>
> In the display on the right, you will see default label properties for
> station offset. You can add to this list or completely eliminate all of
> them and add what you want - which is what you will want to do to achieve
> your label.
>
> Starting from scratch in that display, from the left side of the dialog,
> select Station Value from the properties list and hit the add button (blue
> arrow) - you will see the attribute appear in the display. Now click at
the
> beginning of this string (outside of the < > brackets) and type the text
you
> want, STA. for example. This will give you STA. XX+XX. To add the offset
> value - simply set your pointer at the end of the string and add the
offset
> attribute from the properties pulldown, again, using the blue arrow to ADD
> it. Set the pointer to the end of string, and type INSTALL WATER METER.
>
> You can type in text into the label anywhere outside of the < > brackets
> which enclose the attributes you have added.
>
> Hope that helps :smileyhappy:
> --
> Karen Dowling
> Autodesk ISD QA Analyst
>
>
*Karen Dowling, Autodesk ISD Test Develo
Message 5 of 8 (632 Views)

xx+xx offset xx L/R

10-24-2003 05:50 AM in reply to: *Townes, Tyler
Hi Tyler,
I think I see what you are getting at. I'm going to give an examples of how
the functionality that is available now would work, and then, review the
point I think you are making.

If you have a project with the alignment running straight through the middle
and, in various locations left and right of the alignment, you have
Hydrants, Water Meters, and Uploles which, you want to place upon each, a
station offset label which includes a LT or RT reference as well as a
reference to the type of structure being labeled. To do this, you would
have to create six station offset labels,
1. To label Hydrants Left
2 To label Hydrants Right
3. To label Water Meter Left
4. To label Water Meter Right
5. To label Upole Left
6. To label Upole Right
Now, if all you have are six structures to label, you're not getting much
bang for you buck per label style created (relatively speaking, considering
that creating a style is pretty simple to do). However, if you have 30 of
each to label, it would be efficient to label them using labels styles as
described, rather than having to type something at the placement of each
label.

I think that brings us to your very good point, which is that typically,
there are alot more than just 3 types of structures to be labeled. As we sit
now, we would need to create a label style to accommodate each structure
type, LT and RT. And, in the instance of Upoles, you may want to enter
structure-specific data such as a pole number or benchmark information. Is
that what you are getting at?

Civil 3D station offset labels do not currently have a tag/table option.


--
Karen Dowling
Autodesk ISD QA Analyst
*Townes, Tyler
Message 6 of 8 (632 Views)

xx+xx offset xx L/R

10-29-2003 01:24 AM in reply to: *Townes, Tyler
Hi Karen,

Yes, exactly. Well put, not much bang for the buck per "label style".

I did a quick count on a set of plans we have and I counted approximately
180 "alignment station offset labels", of which approximately 100 have
unique user input descriptions (text), and the other 80 can be divided into
4 unique user input descriptions. So I would have to create and manage 104
label styles, just for alignments (not including all other label styles).

A good example of how it could work is a vanilla acad dimension. You can
edit the data contents in text editor by adding user defined text outside
the dynamic data brackets <>, or remove/override the dynamic data brackets
<>, or at some point simply replace them <>, all while using the same
"style." Simple, yet powerful.

Thank you for listening,

Tyler Townes


"Karen Dowling, Autodesk ISD Test Development"
wrote in message
news:0FB81BC7111169FDCC39DDC0B3808B56@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Hi Tyler,
> I think I see what you are getting at. I'm going to give an examples of
how
> the functionality that is available now would work, and then, review the
> point I think you are making.
>
> If you have a project with the alignment running straight through the
middle
> and, in various locations left and right of the alignment, you have
> Hydrants, Water Meters, and Uploles which, you want to place upon each, a
> station offset label which includes a LT or RT reference as well as a
> reference to the type of structure being labeled. To do this, you would
> have to create six station offset labels,
> 1. To label Hydrants Left
> 2 To label Hydrants Right
> 3. To label Water Meter Left
> 4. To label Water Meter Right
> 5. To label Upole Left
> 6. To label Upole Right
> Now, if all you have are six structures to label, you're not getting much
> bang for you buck per label style created (relatively speaking,
considering
> that creating a style is pretty simple to do). However, if you have 30
of
> each to label, it would be efficient to label them using labels styles as
> described, rather than having to type something at the placement of each
> label.
>
> I think that brings us to your very good point, which is that typically,
> there are alot more than just 3 types of structures to be labeled. As we
sit
> now, we would need to create a label style to accommodate each structure
> type, LT and RT. And, in the instance of Upoles, you may want to enter
> structure-specific data such as a pole number or benchmark information.
Is
> that what you are getting at?
>
> Civil 3D station offset labels do not currently have a tag/table option.
>
>
> --
> Karen Dowling
> Autodesk ISD QA Analyst
>
>
>
*Rogerson, Michael
Message 7 of 8 (632 Views)

xx+xx offset xx L/R

11-06-2003 03:04 AM in reply to: *Townes, Tyler
Hi Tyler,
Great requests - I'll throw some thoughts to add to Karens.

1) LT/RT text:
I think what we need is an abbreviation for the "LT" and "RT" text within
the drawing settings. There are already a number of these at the drawing
level - right click on the drawing on settings tab in prospector, select
"drawing settings" and pick the abbreviations tab. Currently, this has
things like the geometry points on an alignment, which show up in the
station/geometry point labelling type for alignments. It comes down to a
property field in the label style for "Side" - and depending on the side
where the STA/OFF label is placed, either the left or right text would be
inserted. You could make this text for left or right whatever you want. We
already have a "drop sign" formatter for the actual offset number, so that
part is taken care of.

2) Unique Text per label instance using the same label style:
I feel your pain! I have numerous plans that illustrate exactly what you
said - that having two station offset labels with the same content is an
exception rather than the rule. We have been talking about "user strings"
per label instance and one idea we've been digging into almost exactly
mirrors your suggestion. The label style sould have user defined attributes
like , , , etc - hopefully as many as
you want/need. These could be placed anywhere within the contents of a
label text component, like any other attribute you can add. After you have
placed the label, you would edit label properties (not the style) and see
the userstrings, where you could add the text you need. If nothing is
entered, the particular userstring would simply not be drawn. I think the
only thing we will need to address is formatting carraige return issues.

What do you think?

cheers,
Mike

Autodesk, Inc.
Michael C. Rogerson, PE
Product Designer - Program Manager
ISD Civil Engineering Software Development
603.621.3155 ph
603.206.3639 fx

"Tyler Townes" wrote in message
news:7B80824ABD7E80B1024FB27EA52D227C@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Hi Karen,
>
> Yes, exactly. Well put, not much bang for the buck per "label style".
>
> I did a quick count on a set of plans we have and I counted approximately
> 180 "alignment station offset labels", of which approximately 100 have
> unique user input descriptions (text), and the other 80 can be divided
into
> 4 unique user input descriptions. So I would have to create and manage
104
> label styles, just for alignments (not including all other label styles).
>
> A good example of how it could work is a vanilla acad dimension. You can
> edit the data contents in text editor by adding user defined text outside
> the dynamic data brackets <>, or remove/override the dynamic data brackets
> <>, or at some point simply replace them <>, all while using the same
> "style." Simple, yet powerful.
>
> Thank you for listening,
>
> Tyler Townes
>
>
> "Karen Dowling, Autodesk ISD Test Development"

> wrote in message
> news:0FB81BC7111169FDCC39DDC0B3808B56@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Hi Tyler,
> > I think I see what you are getting at. I'm going to give an examples of
> how
> > the functionality that is available now would work, and then, review the
> > point I think you are making.
> >
> > If you have a project with the alignment running straight through the
> middle
> > and, in various locations left and right of the alignment, you have
> > Hydrants, Water Meters, and Uploles which, you want to place upon each,
a
> > station offset label which includes a LT or RT reference as well as a
> > reference to the type of structure being labeled. To do this, you would
> > have to create six station offset labels,
> > 1. To label Hydrants Left
> > 2 To label Hydrants Right
> > 3. To label Water Meter Left
> > 4. To label Water Meter Right
> > 5. To label Upole Left
> > 6. To label Upole Right
> > Now, if all you have are six structures to label, you're not getting
much
> > bang for you buck per label style created (relatively speaking,
> considering
> > that creating a style is pretty simple to do). However, if you have 30
> of
> > each to label, it would be efficient to label them using labels styles
as
> > described, rather than having to type something at the placement of each
> > label.
> >
> > I think that brings us to your very good point, which is that
typically,
> > there are alot more than just 3 types of structures to be labeled. As we
> sit
> > now, we would need to create a label style to accommodate each structure
> > type, LT and RT. And, in the instance of Upoles, you may want to
enter
> > structure-specific data such as a pole number or benchmark information.
> Is
> > that what you are getting at?
> >
> > Civil 3D station offset labels do not currently have a tag/table option.
> >
> >
> > --
> > Karen Dowling
> > Autodesk ISD QA Analyst
> >
> >
> >
>
>
*Townes, Tyler
Message 8 of 8 (632 Views)

xx+xx offset xx L/R

11-07-2003 03:21 AM in reply to: *Townes, Tyler
Hi Michael,

Precisely, although I do have a few comments following:

1) No "T" works for us (L or R). If I were to look at the larger picture,
as you have to, it should be user defined. As far as "drawing settings" for
this, it may not be flexible enough if a user wished for some reason to use
"L" for some labels, "LT" for others, and "left"... (you get the point) in
the same drawing. It seems building the functionality into a style would
take care of this.

2) Sounds great. My only comments are; don't limit this functionality to
alignment labels only and make the userstring easily/quickly editable (as
you said, edit the label property).

Sincerely,


Tyler Townes



"Michael Rogerson" wrote in message
news:19C8F350E63D0860AF216CBC30ECEF94@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Hi Tyler,
> Great requests - I'll throw some thoughts to add to Karens.
>
> 1) LT/RT text:
> I think what we need is an abbreviation for the "LT" and "RT" text within
> the drawing settings. There are already a number of these at the drawing
> level - right click on the drawing on settings tab in prospector, select
> "drawing settings" and pick the abbreviations tab. Currently, this has
> things like the geometry points on an alignment, which show up in the
> station/geometry point labelling type for alignments. It comes down to a
> property field in the label style for "Side" - and depending on the side
> where the STA/OFF label is placed, either the left or right text would be
> inserted. You could make this text for left or right whatever you want.
We
> already have a "drop sign" formatter for the actual offset number, so that
> part is taken care of.
>
> 2) Unique Text per label instance using the same label style:
> I feel your pain! I have numerous plans that illustrate exactly what you
> said - that having two station offset labels with the same content is an
> exception rather than the rule. We have been talking about "user strings"
> per label instance and one idea we've been digging into almost exactly
> mirrors your suggestion. The label style sould have user defined
attributes
> like , , , etc - hopefully as many
as
> you want/need. These could be placed anywhere within the contents of a
> label text component, like any other attribute you can add. After you
have
> placed the label, you would edit label properties (not the style) and see
> the userstrings, where you could add the text you need. If nothing is
> entered, the particular userstring would simply not be drawn. I think the
> only thing we will need to address is formatting carraige return issues.
>
> What do you think?
>
> cheers,
> Mike
>
> Autodesk, Inc.
> Michael C. Rogerson, PE
> Product Designer - Program Manager
> ISD Civil Engineering Software Development
> 603.621.3155 ph
> 603.206.3639 fx
>
> "Tyler Townes" wrote in message
> news:7B80824ABD7E80B1024FB27EA52D227C@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Hi Karen,
> >
> > Yes, exactly. Well put, not much bang for the buck per "label style".
> >
> > I did a quick count on a set of plans we have and I counted
approximately
> > 180 "alignment station offset labels", of which approximately 100 have
> > unique user input descriptions (text), and the other 80 can be divided
> into
> > 4 unique user input descriptions. So I would have to create and manage
> 104
> > label styles, just for alignments (not including all other label
styles).
> >
> > A good example of how it could work is a vanilla acad dimension. You
can
> > edit the data contents in text editor by adding user defined text
outside
> > the dynamic data brackets <>, or remove/override the dynamic data
brackets
> > <>, or at some point simply replace them <>, all while using the same
> > "style." Simple, yet powerful.
> >
> > Thank you for listening,
> >
> > Tyler Townes
> >
> >
> > "Karen Dowling, Autodesk ISD Test Development"
>
> > wrote in message
> > news:0FB81BC7111169FDCC39DDC0B3808B56@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > Hi Tyler,
> > > I think I see what you are getting at. I'm going to give an examples
of
> > how
> > > the functionality that is available now would work, and then, review
the
> > > point I think you are making.
> > >
> > > If you have a project with the alignment running straight through the
> > middle
> > > and, in various locations left and right of the alignment, you have
> > > Hydrants, Water Meters, and Uploles which, you want to place upon
each,
> a
> > > station offset label which includes a LT or RT reference as well as a
> > > reference to the type of structure being labeled. To do this, you
would
> > > have to create six station offset labels,
> > > 1. To label Hydrants Left
> > > 2 To label Hydrants Right
> > > 3. To label Water Meter Left
> > > 4. To label Water Meter Right
> > > 5. To label Upole Left
> > > 6. To label Upole Right
> > > Now, if all you have are six structures to label, you're not getting
> much
> > > bang for you buck per label style created (relatively speaking,
> > considering
> > > that creating a style is pretty simple to do). However, if you have
30
> > of
> > > each to label, it would be efficient to label them using labels styles
> as
> > > described, rather than having to type something at the placement of
each
> > > label.
> > >
> > > I think that brings us to your very good point, which is that
> typically,
> > > there are alot more than just 3 types of structures to be labeled. As
we
> > sit
> > > now, we would need to create a label style to accommodate each
structure
> > > type, LT and RT. And, in the instance of Upoles, you may want to
> enter
> > > structure-specific data such as a pole number or benchmark
information.
> > Is
> > > that what you are getting at?
> > >
> > > Civil 3D station offset labels do not currently have a tag/table
option.
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Karen Dowling
> > > Autodesk ISD QA Analyst
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.