Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSM Help!!!

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
Stuart_Telford
943 Views, 28 Replies

SSM Help!!!

Hey people,

So here is the story...I have recently been using Sheet Set Managers (SSM) more recently and have found them quite handy but I am also finding some peculiarities with it too.  I have no issues setting up a SSM and getting it to plot all my sheets either to our plotter or to PDF at full size (24x36), however when it comes to setting up a half size (11x17) page setup and overriding to it, is where problems occur.

What I want is a page setup that I can select that will plot 11x17 from 24x36. So, I first created a page setup that does this in our template (.dwt) and then set the page setup overrides file to our template file (under sheet set properties). Next I right-cliked on my sheet set and went to "Publish" and then "Publishing Using Page Setup Override", but the list it populated for me did not reflect all of the page setups we have in our template???  It listed two page steups _24x36 and _30x42 (see attachment).  These page setups can be found in our template under page setup manager along with several others which don't show in the overrides (see attachment).

So, I am asking, where is the diconnect?  Is there a reason the other page setups aren't coming up in the SSM overrides menu? 

Thanks in advance,

Stuart Telford
Civil 3D 2014 SP1 | Win 7 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i5-2500 @ 3.30GHz, 8GB Ram | ATI Radeon HD 5450
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Stuart_Telford

1. I don't like the look of the ** surounding the page setup name. seems you may have modified the current instead of creating "New"
2. are you sure SSM is pointing to that dwt file for the page setup overrides?

Ckeck SSM properties in the first bracket of file paths is page setup over rides
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 29
Jeff_M

Your half size is only a Layout name. Save it as a Page Setup, using New and selecting that Layout to start from, then it will be available.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 29

OK guys thanks for the responses,

A couple of questions (and answers):

1.  Yes the overrides are pointing to our template (see attachment)

2.  By create a "new setup" you guys mean go to the template, right-click on a layout tab, go to page setup manager, and then click new and create that way, right? Cause that is what I did to create my 11x17 from 24x36 setup. (see attachment)

3. Is this also what you meant by save the setup as a "setup"? You save it as a setup by actually just making the setup in page setup manager right?

4. So do the ** mean the setup has been modified from an original? Do modified setups not appear in the overrides by rule?

Anyways, to reiterate, I did create a "new" setup in page setup manager in our template, saved our template, and then went back to my other drawing but did not see the setup under overrides in ssm menu.

Any more help or guidance you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stuart Telford
Message 5 of 29
Jeff_M

I'm not quite sure what you are doing, but the items shown with an asterisk on either side are all Layouts. A Layout which has a named Page Setup applied will have the setup shown in parenthesis. Saved Page Setup names do NOT have asterisks. Also, when you select a saved page setup the "Set Current" button will be enabled, but when you select a layout setup that button will be disabled. In your pic I do not see ANY saved page setups.

11-14-2013 7-53-31 AM.png

EESignature
Message 6 of 29
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Jeff_M

The OP seemed so sure? 🙂 I'nterested to see
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 29
KirkNoonan

Try creating a new layout tab in your template that uses the page setup you are trying to override with. Name it appropriately and see if it shows up in the SSM
Message 8 of 29
Stuart_Telford
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Ok this is making more sense, but again I must ask for I'm still uncertain.  What is the process to create a "new" page setup in our template and save it as a template and not just a layout?  The only way I know how seemingly is to right-click on a layout tab and then go to page setup manager, and then click new...IS THIS CORRECT?

IF not then again I'm asking, how do you create a new page setup separate from a layout that then will appear in the page setup manager (saved) and then be able to be seen in the SSM overrides menu?

Also, somehow I need to be able to create this new setup from an existing 24x36 layout, for I need to be able to window the 24x26 border and force it to fit to a tabloid (11x17).  This will give the setup an X and Y offset and a scaling factor so it will fit.  I need to do this so that when I have created a 24x36 ssm and then want to print it half size I can simply pick this override setup which in turn will allow the full size layouts to be printed half size.

Thanks again for the responses

Stuart Telford
Message 9 of 29

So here is another screen capture of what I did which is as follows:

1.  Open template drawing (.dwt)

2.  Went to page setup manager and clicked "new"

3.  Created a new setup that transform 24x36 to fit an 11x17

4.  Called it 11x17 from 24x36 and saved it

5.  Created a layout called Half-Size and set current my new setup

6.  Noticed in page setup manager that my setup was in the list w/out ** and my layout had it in ()

7.  Saved the template drawing and then went back to my project drawing and went to the ssm overrides list and still did NOT see it there?

Felt like I did everything right but still not getting it to work. Smiley Mad

Any other thoughts?

Stuart Telford
Message 10 of 29
Joe-Bouza

Myself, I make a layout tab for each page setup with the frame in place to hel verify
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 11 of 29
Stuart_Telford
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

That sounds reasonable, I must say that I did not create my company's template drawing but it appears each layout does not have a unique page setup applied to it, rather each had been modified through page setup manager to look/print correctly on different printers and plotters based on the particular size and type.

Stuart Telford
Message 12 of 29
Jeff_M

Stuart, it is sounding like you may be editing a different dwt. I have tested a number of scenarios here and they all work as expected, except when I choose the wrong dwt to edit. Are you editing the DWT or the DWG with the same name? (I know you've said dwt, just triple checking here.)
EESignature
Message 13 of 29
KirkNoonan

I agree, by default your templates get saved to the templates directory which is different than the page setup overrides directory. Look at the settings under the files tab in your options
Message 14 of 29
Stuart_Telford

You'd think so but look at the attached screen captures.  I also double checked my default template settings for sheet creation and page setup overrides and it's pointing to the same template file (.dwt not .dwg)

Notice how 2 of the page setups _24x36 anf _30x42 are showing up but not my new one right below...?

Thoughts?

Stuart Telford
Message 15 of 29
Jay_B

Have you saved the drawing CE_C3D2013.dwt? I can see it's open in your current session in Master View on Settings Tab of Toolspace in your drawing capture. If it wasn't saved it wouldn't appear in Page Setup Overrides list. May even require exiting C3D or closing & opening sheet set.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 16 of 29
Jeff_M

My last thought for the day...when in your DWT file, what is the result of entering DWGPREFIX at the command line?
EESignature
Message 17 of 29
Stuart_Telford

Jay, Yes I did save the template drawing and I have got completely out of CV3D and came back in with no luck.

Jeff,  attached a screen capture of what shows after entering that command.

Stuart Telford
Message 18 of 29
Jeff_M

I'm out of ideas, Stuart. Is your reseller close by so you might get them to lend a hand with this? Heck, I'd offer if you are close enough. (I'm in Santa Rosa, CA)
EESignature
Message 19 of 29
KirkNoonan

I still think we are dealing with 2 different templates here. Check your settings in the two different places shown in the screen shots to make sure you are editing the same template the the SSM is getting the overrides from.

Message 20 of 29
graf_p

Could it have anything to do with this?
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2004-2005-2006-DWG/Sheet-Set-Manager-and-Publish-Overrides/td-...

I know some page setup overrides don't work with a plot area "Window".

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report