Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split Civil 3D pipe network into sections for navisworks simulate

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
granite07
882 Views, 6 Replies

Split Civil 3D pipe network into sections for navisworks simulate

I have  a pipe network but in Navisworks I want to sequence the pipe installation through a suburban neighborhood.

The goal is to determine the traffic closures start and finish dates and when and for how long we will be digging through each backyard. The real pipes will be 24' long, so in the best case I'd like to segment the pipe network into this length. We know the production per foot so each day in Navisworks I can highlight the section that must be excavated, laid, and backfilled - if that is too detailed, then maybe by week.

The big issue is, my pipe network is one big piece in navisworks. How do I cut this into sections?

Forest Peterson, granite@stanford.edu; build-sheet
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sirjoelsph
in reply to: granite07

I'm not familiar with Navisworks, but you can split pipe networks in Civil 3D.  Simple command on the Modify Pipe Networks Ribbon that allows you to select which pipes and structures to split off of a Pipe Network.

Capture.PNG

-JOEL
Message 3 of 7
david.zavislan
in reply to: granite07

You will need to break the pipes in Civil 3D where the different phases will occur.

In Navisworks you should be able to select individual pipes. If not, go into the Properties command.  Select Interface > Selection in the tree view.  On the right, change the resolution to Geometry. 

2015-01-20_7-45-36.png

You can also change this setting by right-clicking on a layer or object in the Selection Tree panel.

2015-01-20_7-51-05.png

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 4 of 7
granite07
in reply to: sirjoelsph

I tried splitting the pipes in C3D with that function but it did not seem to do anything. I will try again and document the process better.

Message 5 of 7
granite07
in reply to: david.zavislan

thank you David, I did not know about the Navisowrks setting for object level of detail, I will give that a try. Also, I appreciate the screen shots, that made things much easier to understand,

Message 6 of 7
granite07
in reply to: sirjoelsph

I tried split network again - I created a new pipe network but it did not actually split the existing network. Do I need a network for each section of pipe. Lets say I split the pipe into 24' lengths just for the visualization, would I really have to have 220 pipe networks per mile of pipe?

This is C3D 2013 SP2

C3D_splitnetwork_1.jpg

I selected the split pipe network

C3D_splitnetwork_2.jpg

Now I have two networks, the utility access is in one and the pipe is in another but nothing was split as far as sectioning the pipe into sections

Message 7 of 7
granite07
in reply to: david.zavislan

I checked and the resolution in Navis was set to geometry

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report