Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed problem with Civil 3D 2012

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
drazen-ars
1633 Views, 20 Replies

Speed problem with Civil 3D 2012

We noticed some speed problems in Civil 3D 2012. We have one drawing, 8Mb large, 50,000 entities and would like to erase all the entities from the drawing, by using simple AutoCAD function Erase (All). There are no Civil objects in the drawing at all. In Civil 3D 2012 we need for the operation more than 30 seconds. The same is with AutoCAD profile, made from Civil 2012.

In the case of pure AutoCAD 2012 (not made from Civil 2012 installation) the same operation needs fraction of second (non measurable).

Similar results to pure AutoCAD 2012 are reached with Civil 2010 installed in 32 bit environment on same computer.

Is there any possibility to switch off some variables in Civil 3D to increase speed of basic AutoCAD operations? The example described is just an illustration, we noticed the same effect on various issues. We think that Civil 3D tries to see if there are some intelligent objects which need some update, and maybe because of that such operations are so slow.

Computer is I5, 8 Gb Ram, Windows 7 64 bit.

Does anybody have some advice or solution.

Drazen

Tags (1)
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Hi,

>> We noticed some speed problems in Civil 3D 2012

I have found that also in CIvil3D2011x64 ... when the Civil-DLL's are loaded the speed of selecting and modifying geometry elements is about 50 times slower than

• without loading the DLL's    - or -
  • having 32bit

Sorry, just as confirmation, I have no solution for that.

One small help to modifying many objects in one step is to close the properties window (but has only to do with PICKFIRST, not when starting the command before selection)

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 21

There are a few issues related to speed in the 2012 release.

1. Install all the hotfixes (especially the the Prospector)
  2. Uninstall Raster Design 2012 (if installed). Remove the cui from being loaded within Civil 3D.

The Raster Design issue is undocumented. We noticed a great improvment after unistalling.

Message 4 of 21
drazen-ars
in reply to: drazen-ars

Raster Design is not an issue.

All hotfixes which are offically suggested are installed. Work without ribbons and prospector.

Drazen

Message 5 of 21
granite07

how is Raster Design removed from the cui

Forest Peterson, granite@stanford.edu; build-sheet
Message 6 of 21
mathewkol

Unload the partial CUI.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 21
drazen-ars
in reply to: mathewkol

We made further investigation. Seems that problem is not in Civil but Map, which is included in Civil. Because the same speed problem is both in Map and Civil, not in pure AutoCAD. Civil includes Map but Map does not include Civil. We will focus on Map in next activities.

Drazen

Message 8 of 21
drazen-ars

WE FOUND THE SOLUTION !!!!!!!

We were right, the problem is not in Civil itself but in Map which is included in Civil.

From Civil profile, File Search Path, we removed two paths, connected with FDO. Restart Civil, and WOW !!! I can erase entities of tested file in fraction of second (like in vanilla AutoCAD). With those two paths, on my machine, need 33 seconds. We checked couple of other functions and everything functions very well and fast.

Ok, for somebody who uses FDO technology, this is not a solution, but at least we know what is problematic, and we can manage something.

So, Autodesk guys, please can you give us answer what is really wrong with FDO, if I don't use it, inside pure AutoCAD functionality!

Drazen

d dot galic at studioars dot hr

Message 9 of 21

Hi,

thank you for that info!

So for me it seems to be the combination of Map and Civil (see above message about Civil-DLLs) and yes, it's a workaround with losing functionality.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 10 of 21

Seems that SP1 for MAP solves the speed problem what is an issue.

SP1 is available from yesterday. Now we should wait for SP1 for C3D.

Drazen

Message 11 of 21
granite07

where are the DLLs?

And, some details for how Raster Design is removed from the cui?

Message 12 of 21
tcorey
in reply to: granite07

Use the CUIUNLOAD command.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 13 of 21
neilyj666

SP1 for Civil 3D is due soon I  believe - although as to whether this particular issue will be resolved we will have to wait and see

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 14 of 21
drazen-ars
in reply to: neilyj666

I'm positive that will solve, because basically the problem is in Map and SP1 solved the problem in Map. Until then we have solution in C3D to create the new profile and erase FDO paths from File Search Path branch.

Drazen

Message 15 of 21
JeffPaulsen

I noticed with the OOTB install for Civil 3D two paths are being added to the Search Path that do not exist:

C:\program files\autodesk\autocad civil 3d 2012\getting started guide

C:\program files\autodesk\autocad civil 3d 2012\fdo\bin        (note order of subfolders)

I removed them from all of our installs. That may be why I haven't noticed this slow down.

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 16 of 21
neilyj666
in reply to: JeffPaulsen

The bin\fdo path exists for me and it has files

When i removed the path, there were a lot of errors in the command window saying various dll's weren't found and not sure if they they are just Map specific so added the path back

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 17 of 21
JeffPaulsen

Note the order of the subfolders. The bin\fdo folder exists; however, fdo\bin does not exist.

Jeff Paulsen
Message 18 of 21
neilyj666

fdo/bin isn't in my support path - perhaps its an error due to 32 bit vs 64 bit installations??

EESignature

Message 19 of 21
JeffPaulsen

I'm not sure why I have it in mine and you don't. Mine is a 64-bit install on Win 7.

Jeff Paulsen
Message 20 of 21
granite07

post your build version - it is listed in 'about autocad civil 3d' dropdown from help

when building integrated model-based systems we sometimes find that different builds behave diffrently and have gotten into the practice of recording the builds and not just the generic year version, like 2012 C3D but F.51.0.0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report