Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specific Questions for AutoDesk (to please the powers that be)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
manateejim
407 Views, 8 Replies

Specific Questions for AutoDesk (to please the powers that be)

Our office has a mix of 2010 civil and civil 3d if we upgrade (we are all on subscription)

1. will we all upgrade to 2011 civil 3d?  we have heard that there is no more civil.

2. was civil 3d optimized memory wise to use memory more efficiently on a windows xp 3 gig ram situation.

3. what are the specifications for civil 3d 2011?  I can't find them online, I only get 2012.

4.  I know we are on 2012 release but since I work for government I do not see in the forseable future us moving to windows 7 64 bit to use civil 3d 2012.  Can we still upgrade to civil 3d 2011 since we are on subscription.

Jim

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Jim,

1. You will upgrade all to Civil 3D

2. 2011 was optimized to work better on xp 32. Civil 3D 2012 works even better on xp 32, but they both are still limited by the OS.

3. The machine spec for the XP 32 is about the same / exactly the same as 2012

4. You can upgrade to 2011, but I would go to 2012. While we strongly recommend Windows 7 x64, both 2011 and 2012 have 32 bit versions.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 9

Peter I really appriciate you answering my questions.  I do have one more Issue.  When we Upgraded to Windows XP SP3, we were unable to use the three gig switch.  For some reason it worked great on SP2 but not sp3.  Our IT Dept. thinks it is the switch.  Is this an issue Autodesk is aware of?

Again thank you very much for your responses Smiley Very Happy

-Jim

Message 4 of 9

You're talking WIndows XP SP3 that was released May 6, 2008?

Make sure that you have all the updates for both XP and Civil 3D is the first thing. The other thing is that switch doesn't just "give" you more RAM, it compresses the OS from 2 gig down to 1 gig and that is what frees up the extra RAM. However this compression can cause "issues" for things like video drivers and other programs that expect to find their instruction sets as fixed locations in that second gig of RAM. When the OS is smashed down into 1 gig those fixed locations are lost.

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 9

Pete I have one more monkey wrench that it was thrown in the mix. IT just loves the antiquated windows xp so the OS Windows XP 64 bit was mentioned.  I have read that it exists so will civil 3d 2011 or 12 64bit be able to use this?  And if so will we get the same benefit of using more than just the normal 3 gigs of ram or did autodesk work towards windows 7 compatability?  Are these two OS's  sort of the same thing?

Sorry I am feeling like such a pain

-Jim

Message 6 of 9
Sinc
in reply to: manateejim

With XP x64, you'll get the benefit of having a 64-bit OS, which will help you avoid out-of-memory issues and allow you to install more RAM, but that's about it.  It seems incredible that your IT group would even consider XP x64.  That's the most troublesome choice possible.  It's the most difficult to find drivers for, and you still have all the XP problems.

Why don't they just switch to Win7?  IT on Win7 is a breeze compared to XP.  Or are they afraid that Win7 works so much better that a lot of them will be out of a job if they don't stay on XP?  Smiley Wink

Sinc
Message 7 of 9
manateejim
in reply to: Sinc

Unfortunatly there are only about 15 out of 3000 people in our county that use anything that even looks like cad.  Why would a secretary, planner, need a wiz bang computer tha can runs civil 3d?   E-mail work fine on a pentium 2 windows 95 machine. You know government one size or OS fits all.   Plus our IT are chickens.   ha ha   

Thanks for the Laugh Sinc 🙂

-Jim

Message 8 of 9

If there are only 15 of you out of 3000 that would use Windows 7 x64 is there any chance that IT would either install it for you or allow you to manage your own systems? The reason that we keep pushing Windows 7 x64 is because it is that much better than XP x32.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 9

A lot of Governments run legacy hard and software that is not compatible with new stuff.  The problem they will have as Sinc pointed out is going to be the availability of any parts with drivers that are compatible with XP anything in a few years.  I have pointed this out too them but there are so many xp people who need a place to hide as the world moves on around them.  This is the reason I am pushing so hard to get the newer software is the fact that I don't want Me for one or my co workers to get cut and then have to go out in to the world again 2 3 or 4 years behind the curve on software that we need to make our livelihoods.  I guess I might just shut up, get back in line, take what they give me, and make the best of it.  I actually did forget that there was a 64 bit xp but no one was able too use it since there were no 64 bit machines at the time.

IT people if you are reading this please think of others careers not just your own!!!

Thanks Pete and Sinc  you have both opened my eyes to potential problems and solutions.

Cheers

-Jim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report