Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spaced points on a polyline or line

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mwadkins12
1502 Views, 5 Replies

Spaced points on a polyline or line

Are you able to create points on a line at an defined distance?

For example, placing point 1 at an intersection of two lines (a "major line" and a "minor line"), then adding points to the "major line" at X distance from point 1 and so on. The issue is, the distance from one point to another changes in value. I know that it is possible the old fashioned way, but is there a way to quickly and efficiently do this in Civil?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
KMercier_C3D
in reply to: mwadkins12

Not sure what you mean as the "old fashioned way" but have you tried MEASURE?

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 3 of 6
Jay_B

mwadkins12 wrote:

The issue is, the distance from one point to another changes in value.

One way of to automatically placing points when the distance changes in value is to first draw a polyline snapping to every point location.

Then use the home tab>create ground data panel>points>create points - miscellaneous>

"Polyline vertices's - automatic" option.

All increment, divide & measure commands I'm familiar with would look for an even interval.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 6
mwadkins12

Basically, I just want to try and replicate this point (at the beginning of the video) down to the second point in the video (on the line) at different intervals (i.e. 240', 50', 55', 75', etc). I'm obviously doing something wrong to begin with because even attempting to "create points on an object using distance intervals", the new point isn't even going in the right direction. The 'old way' of offsetting distance markers and intersecting circles is somewhat of a pain in the butt. I guess that I am just hoping that their is an easier way to do this.

Message 5 of 6
IanMcClain

From pulldown menu: Points > Create Points > Measure Object (line/polyline/feature) or Measure Alignment.

Follow the prompts for Start, End, Offset and Distance. If you set your prompt for elevation and descriptions to Automatic it will use the defaults in the setttings.

Ian McClain
Message 6 of 6
mwadkins12

I found the issue. For some reason, Measure does not like started in the middle of a line; however, it works fine if you start at one of the end points. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report