Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapping linework between elevated points so that linework is all at Z=0

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
mcloughlin
1503 Views, 4 Replies

Snapping linework between elevated points so that linework is all at Z=0

While we need our points at the elevations at which they are shot (we cannot be simply setting all points to Z=0), we often need to draw linework such as polylines whose elevations are all at Z=0. A person named James Wedding wrote: " Down in the status bar, there's a setting that reads Elevation: +0.0000 and a button next to it. If you click that button ON, all selections will ignore Z values, and use the Elevation: value. I like this better." I would like that better too, but there seems to be no such entity in my status bar. Can anyone tell me how to find this entity and activate it? "OSNAPZ" does not accomplish the task of drawing flat polylines to elevated point nodes. Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jeff_M
in reply to: mcloughlin

That button James was referring to toggled the OSNAPZ sysvar on/off, nothing more. Setting this manually by typing it in should be all you need do. OSNAPZ does not have any effect when using grips to snap, only when using ObjectSnaps (node, endp, near, etc.).

Have you tried setting your point styles to use 0 elevation? This still keeps the CogoPoint elevation, but the symbol/marker is set to the elevation specified in the style...usually this is 0.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 5
AllenJessup
in reply to: mcloughlin

@mcloughlin wrote:
 "OSNAPZ" does not accomplish the task of drawing flat polylines to elevated point nodes. Thanks.

The button you mention didn't make it into later releases. As Jeff mentioned. It only toggled OSNAPZ. If you say that doesn't work then the button wouldn't work either.

When you say it doesn't accomplish the task. What results do you see?

Why are you unable to leave you flattened to an insertion of 0 and use the Point Object transparent command ( 'PO ) to grab the elevation when needed.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
doni49
in reply to: Jeff_M

To follow up with Jeff's statement:

Once you've enabled OSNAPZ when you snap to a point, it will be snapped to the x&y of that point but the z value will be taken from the defaul elevation of the current ucs.  You can change that default elevation by typing ELEV.  You will be prompted for default elevation (set it as desired) then a default thickness (typically, this should be set to 0).

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 5
AllenJessup
in reply to: AllenJessup

I tested it. When I insert the points with their markers at the point elevation and draw a polyline. The polyline is at the elevation of the first point. When I set OSNAPZ to 1 with ELEV set to 0. The polylne is at 0. This holds for 3D polylines as well following the elevation of each node with OSNAP at 0 and all nodes at 0 when OSNAP is 1.

If you have points at Elevation. A way to start a polyline at 0 would be to use the Point Filter of .XY and provide the 0 elevation. With a 3D polyline you would have to use the .XY filter for every node picked. .XY can be typed from the keyboard or picked from the rt-clk menu.

xy.png

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report