Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snap to profile entities

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ShawnMcCorkle1211
4859 Views, 9 Replies

Snap to profile entities

Is there a way to get osnaps to work on pofile entities, specifically the internal grid lines and the proposed profile line? 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Unfortunately, you cannot snap to the grid and a layout profile, or anything proposed.  However, you can snap to the grid and the surface profile.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 10
sboon
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

You can snap to the endpoints or the midpoint of a profile tangent, but you cannot get an intersection snap which is a problem when you're trying to use polar, ortho or extension to move things onto another tangent line.

What you CAN do is snap to a line which is part of a profile label.  The workaround is to have working label styles which include a line drawn from the start of a tangent to the end.  You can also have a profile curve label style that includes two lines from the curve start to the PVI and then to the curve end.  With these labels attached to your profile you'll be able to use intersection snaps while editing.

PS: I still haven't figured out how to snap to the vertical curve yet.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 10

That is just dumb.  This stuff should act like a line in a block would.  How agravating.

Message 5 of 10
Renbrig
in reply to: ShawnMcCorkle1211

Why can we still not snap to a profile?!?!  This is ridiculous...there are so many reasons why we need to be able to do this.  It has nothing to do with one way of thinking or another.  I need to build a profile of a ped ramp and I cant two lines to meet.  The only work around is to copy the profile, explode the profile into a million little pieces, draw a line and extend the line, so that I can find an intersection just so that I can adjust the profile line to where those lines  intersect. 

Message 6 of 10

My work-around is to trace the vertical profile with a polyline, assuming it's a PGL or something simple with vertical curves.  Then use that as something to snap to.  Sometimes I'll just trace lines, near to near to get an entity that shows up as something to snap to.  I also use this method to trace a profile to a new drawing if I choose not to bring it in from a data shortcut.  For example if the profile has the same name and I'm working on an alternate solution.

Message 7 of 10

I think I may have found a solution to this issue. Run the command "EDITPROFILELAYOUT" and select any profile to open the "Profile Layout Tools" window. Once opened, you will be able to snap to alignments as if they are regular 2D objects. "EDITPROFILELAYOUT" is the same as the " Geometry Editor" button in the "Modify Profile" panel under the "Profile View" ribbon tab when a profile view is selected.

Message 8 of 10
jmayo-EE
in reply to: cperimanX537E

This is an old post and an outdated issues using the current product.  You should now be able to use the Intersection Osnap on your profiles and profile grids.

John

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
chuskey2F8VZ
in reply to: jmayo-EE

From what I can tell (using the latest version of 2023), you can snap to profile tangents, but not to vertical curves. It snaps to the line extensions and not the curve itself.

Message 10 of 10

All this hubbub and no one ever realized that opening the geometry editor fixes the problem. Not even a search on the interwebs leads you to thins conclusion. Something so simple shouldn't be so difficult to decipher. It must just be the universe keeping us all humble.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report