Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smoothing surface lines in a profile

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
wbrustle
3221 Views, 7 Replies

smoothing surface lines in a profile

Hi,

When I create a profile showing an existing or proposed surface, the actual line showing the surface can look jagged in spots. Is there a way that those lines can be smoothed out? My boss is always looking for a "clean" look and I end up drawing a polyline myself to correct it....thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: wbrustle

Could be a number of things.

Adding breaklines might help or possibly the data coverage is not uniform.

Say for example you have a lot of terrain and there are many survey shots etc. in certain areas and light coverage in others.

If this is the case, the triangulation can get messy and spikes will show up in the profiles etc.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8
Joe-Bouza

The surface profile will only be as good as the surface. So to borrow from a phrase: you can have it: Accurate, Clean, Cheap - pick any two

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 4 of 8
EJMartinez

I've had that same problem when I first started. Like Joe says the profile will only be as good as the surface, and like Jay says, add a 3d polyline to the alignment, then add that breakline to the surface being used for the profile.
Message 5 of 8
jmayo-EE

Also note that this may be unavoidable with a corridor surface as the cor creates chords along curves. You will see the chord path run up and down a vertical face like a curb.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
wbrustle
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I kind of figured that would be the response. I will experiment with the surface by taking your suggestions...thanks for all of your input.

Message 7 of 8
jmayo-EE

If I need to plot these on sheets I may try using an offset alignment with a very small offset so the Z change is unoticed in 1 decimal point. If that won't work I might try to extract a feature line from the cor and project it to the profile view.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
wbrustle
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Ok...thank you

Wendy J. Brustle, Cadd operator
Laberge Group
4 Computer Drive West
Albany, New York 12205
Phone (518) 458-7112 FAX (518) 458-1879
wbrustle@labergegroup.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report