Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smooth Road Profiles created from Lidar

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
TheCanadianPrimate
2428 Views, 6 Replies

Smooth Road Profiles created from Lidar

We have lucky enough to obtain LIDAR for most of our small City as well as ground only points.  My problem is that profiles produced using it are rough and jagged (see attached).  I've tried contour smoothing to no avail as well as point removal.  Perhaps I haven't just tried enough options.

Should mention also I have breaklines along the CL alignment as well as Edge of Pavement.

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sboon
in reply to: TheCanadianPrimate

With Lidar you're pretty much stuck.  There's really too much data and without proper breaklines it doesn't triangulate along the road crown as it should.  We have had some success at creating a "fake" ground profile by drawing a featureline to trace the centerline where it's visible in the photo.  You can either snap the featureline points to the Lidar nodes or use the Elevations from Surface command, then project the featureline onto your profile view.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 7

Judging the contours in the plan view it appears the LIDAR surface has issues. The contours in the paved areas should not be meandering like that. I'd run some checks on the surface and source data.

Do you receive breakline data with the LIDAR dataset?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 7

No we didn't but I have 2d polylines as breaklines in the drawing at the edge of pavement and the centerline.

Message 5 of 7

Like Steve, I would look at using the lidar data to recreate the Roadway. Either with FL's or a layout profile and simple corridor to extract the FL's for CL and EOP.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
LeafRiders
in reply to: jmayo-EE

What would a normal preliminary survey be in your area? We usually see surveys with a cross section every 25m and for each feature of the road. At the most this is what I'd have to define my EG in this instance. Clearly the LIDAR data is overkill for road design. 

Maybe you could try to insert a point along each of the breaklines at common interval and redefine your EG surface to be something like EG_reduced. Good Luck.

Message 7 of 7

Thanks to all that replied, for now I think the idea of placing a point on the Lidar Surface every 25m would be a great idea combined with a 3D poly breakline.

I have always had problems with jagged profiles and a 3D poly breakline has always solved them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report