Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Contour Labeling in 2011

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Adam_Farnsworth
1524 Views, 4 Replies

Slow Contour Labeling in 2011

My coworker and I are working in C3D 2011 (64 bit) on Windows 7 with what does not appear to be a particularly complicated surface or covering that large of an area, however any time we go to add surface labels, the program pauses and has to regen the surface. The status bar says it's "displaying contours". If I zoom in to a small enough area or apply a mask to some small corner of the surface, I can get it to only regen initially if I am labeling multiple contours, but even then it still pauses if I am trying to label individual contours. Our current work around is using the "multiple at interval" option so it only has to regen once, but gives us a lot of labels in places that are not optimal.

The surface is being brought in as a data shortcut. In both the original file and the file I'm working in, surfaces are not set to auto regen. I do not have this problem when I am working in 2008, 2009 or 2010 so I have to think that it's some sort of system variable in 2011 that I need to change, although I have not been able to find any such setting to update. I have 12GB of RAM so I don't think memory is really the issue here. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
--Adam
Windows 7 x 64
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
12 GB Ram
i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
Civil 3D 2011, 2010, 2009 and occasionally 2008 still (unfortunantly)
Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
nloder
in reply to: Adam_Farnsworth

I have the same problem in Civil 3d 2010.  When I create a surface that is not very complicated (only defined by 200 points or so) and try to label the contours, about 5 seconds elapses between clicking on the contour line to label and the actual contour label disappearing.  Times that by 40-50 contour labels, and time starts to add up just to label contours. 

I am also running Civil 3D in Windows 7, but had this same problem on XP.  The time to label a contour goes up dramatically depending on the surface size.  The last project I worked on had a relatively large surface, and it took 30 minutes just to add contour labels to the existing and proposed surface.

Message 3 of 5
Adam_Farnsworth
in reply to: nloder

I think I've figured out a solution.  In my surface style, I was using Contour Smoothing.  (Surface Style > Contours Tab > Contour Smoothing > Smooth Contours > True).  When I turned this off (set it to False), it sped up my contour labeling considerably.

Let me know if that works for you as well 🙂

--Adam

Windows 7 x 64
12 GB Ram
i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
Message 4 of 5
nloder
in reply to: Adam_Farnsworth

Yes, that did help, great suggestion!

Message 5 of 5
Adam_Farnsworth
in reply to: nloder

Rock on!  😄

Windows 7 x 64
12 GB Ram
i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report