Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slope Patterns

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
DrWileFTracer
703 Views, 8 Replies

Slope Patterns

In order to create a swale, I created a feature line representing the bottom of the swale and graded up to an existing surface around its outer perimeter. The slope pattern looks ok when it initially generates the grading. I need to grip and drag certain points along the feature line in order to bring the top of slope lines of the swale close to the bottom of slope lines of an adjacent berm. As soon as I grip and drag the feature line, the slope pattern lines go awry. Instead of a short line then a long line, then short line, etc., the lines are all the same length. It actually appears as if short and long lines are overlapping each other.

Does anyone have a reason, and more importantly, a fix for this issue?

Thanks

Wilf

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jmayo-EE
in reply to: DrWileFTracer

After you drag the feature line, what is the z value of vertex that you moved? Is it what you expect or di it shoot down to zero?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 9

I had checked the elevations on the feature line in order to make sure the z values didn't change and they hadn't - they were all still at their original elevation.

As an attempt at a quick fix, once the feature line was in the correct location, I drew a polyline over it, deleted the feature line and grading, changed the polyline to a feature line and added the grading, knowing the toe of slope would then be where I needed it and I wouldn't have to grip and drag the feature line again. Unfortunately, the slope pattern came up wrong as soon as the grading was generated. Thus, I guess it wasn't necessarily the gripping and moving that is the actual cause of the problem.

Message 4 of 9

I had checked the elevations on the feature line in order to make sure the z values didn't change and they hadn't - they were all still at their original elevation. As an attempt at a quick fix, once the feature line was in the correct location, I drew a polyline over it, deleted the feature line and grading, changed the polyline to a feature line and added the grading, knowing the toe of slope would then be where I needed it and I wouldn't have to grip and drag the feature line again. Unfortunately, the slope pattern came up wrong as soon as the grading was generated. Thus, I guess it wasn't necessarily the gripping and moving that is the actual cause of the problem. Wilf Carter Senior Designer [cid:image001.png@01CD4312.D519C2C0] 102 Portland Street Dartmouth, Nova Scotia Canada B2Y 1H8 www.ablenvironmental.comPh: 902-466-0050 Ext: 111 Fax: 902-469-4399 wcarter@ablenvironmental.com
Message 5 of 9
jmayo-EE

THis would be easier to see and debug with a dwg file or a few pictures.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
DrWileFTracer
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Here's a file. You will note a large square shaped area with a berm around it which was created with the grading tools. That grading is fine but you will also see an "L" shaped swale which I created with the grading tools as well. The slope lines for the swale are completely messed up. Thanks for the help. Wil
Message 7 of 9
wfberry

I do not see your file, on my computer anyway.

This brings up a point.  Several months back, I asked sinc and Jeff (Sincpac) about making a feature line to grade to a surface.  No Grading Object.  Not only did Jeff do it for a feature line, it also works for a 3D poly.  My point is, this really makes running a ditch or a swale in isolated areas quite simple.

Bill

Message 8 of 9
jmayo-EE
in reply to: wfberry

One of the two things I miss about LDD is the Daylight Polyline command. I had requested that they port this over or create a new command years ago. It is a very useful tool to have when grading with feature lines.

The other thing is miss is the grading objects . 😮

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
Kapanther

Lol.. Learn to use gradings in Civil 3d.

You have civil 3d right?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report